1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to 1911's. This is on a brand new S&W E-series with exactly 122 rounds through it. Field strip in shop before range, field strip at range for some lubing, then fried 122 rounds.

Last night doing a light cleaning and noticed this. Could it have come from the factory this way? Could this be from contact with the frame?

As far as I can tell it does not affect function as if this point. Just a little disappointed to see this on a brand new firearm.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,941 Posts
I'll be interested to see what the more expierence armoror types say about this.

If it is a new gun, I would send the gun back to have a new barrel fitted under warrenty.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
That should have been caught. As stated, it won't affect function, but I'd still know it's there - and it would bother me.

·
Banned
4,947 Posts
It is only cosmetic but so would a big scratch down the slide or frame. I would ask to have it changed but I would also expect push back from S&W. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spoke to an acquaintance who works for Smith, and he suggested without hesitation to contact customer support. I did, and they suggested to send it in. It will go to Maine, and they are about 2.5 weeks turnaround right now. I sent pictures to the QA department first, before just sending away.

I hate parting with new stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,941 Posts
Spoke to an acquaintance who works for Smith, and he suggested without hesitation to contact customer support. I did, and they suggested to send it in. It will go to Maine, and they are about 2.5 weeks turnaround right now. I sent pictures to the QA department first, before just sending away.

Yes "emotional". I just sent a 1911 back today...In the long run always better though :).

·
Premium Member
15,729 Posts
That would be very different to me than a scratch in the finish that I would see every time I glanced at the pistol. This mark would not be seen unless you were looking for it with the slide off the frame. If the pistol was otherwise suitable I would not have returned it. Too much chance of more things being messed up in the 'repair'.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
On a new pistol that would bother me. I work in the computer industry and would have to see it under higher magnification, but even what I see bothers me a bit. It is nice that S&W will look at it and examine it further and hopefully fix it. I also hope you do not have to pay the shipping to send it back and forth.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Sooner or later, Smith & Wesson is going to have to come to the conclusion that the tighter overall tolerances and quality achievable with advanced CNC machining and MIM small parts manufacturing techniques is not a complete substitute for final hand fitting and visual inspection, especially on 1911's. It also shows up as canted barrels and wide B/C gaps on revolvers. They are going to have to put something back instead of just depending on the service department to "clean up" after them.

I have heard recently that non-warranty repairs at the Springfield factory are currently looking at a six to nine month lead time which is previously unheard of for Smith and Wesson. There is something wrong with the Corporate mentality over there. For instance, they are moving away from stocking small repair parts for guns such as K-Frame revolvers even though there are still millions of them still in service. I understand not tying up $'s in large parts such as barrels, frames, cylinders, etc. but side plate screws, cylinder stops, hands, hammer noses and hammer nose bushings?? This unspoken policy of theirs is trickling down and catching up with them whether they wish to admit it or not and doing irreparable damage to their once impeccable reputation for quality and customer service.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I argued for maintaining a stock of small parts for the millions of older Smiths out there about three years back with an exec there.
Got nowhere.

And I'm talking about pre-MIM stuff, not all THAT old.
Denis

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I am afraid that they are going to get a harsh lesson in the value of your reputation. every Smith auto I have had has had some kind of problem with it. Even a PC 1911 and a model 41 have had problems. Only the revolvers I have from them were right out of the box.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I feel your pain, but sending it back is the right thing to do. S&W will make it right.

Hope they sent you a return label or it's going to cost you near $100 to ship it back.
S&W provides the shipping label. Lifetime warranty to the original owner. That includes shipping.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
S&W provides the shipping label. Lifetime warranty to the original owner. That includes shipping.
Yes, and unfortunately all of us are paying for your shipping, when we buy a new pistol. :(

There's no way they cannot be concerned with recouping the cost with the sheer number of returns they are experiencing.

It's a vicious circle - nothing's "free". Hopefully they realize that QC is actually cheaper in the long run, when faced with mounting after-sale issues and a highly competitive 1911 industry.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I would definitely send it back. If there is a defect in the barrel here, how would you know there isn't some other type defect in the barrel elsewhere? Also, if I were buying this gun from you in a re-sale, it would cause me concern as a future buyer and decrease what you may or may not get in a resale.

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
I am wondering if that is a real flaw in the steel or if it's just a dent that came about somewhere in the process.

Either way it amount to nothing and I would be very surprised if Smith replaces the barrel.

Bob

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Either way it amount to nothing and I would be very surprised if Smith replaces the barrel.
And that is why it probably won't get replaced, because so many people accept (and possibly expect ) shoddy workmanship. What message is that sending the manufacturer? What happened to "the customer is always right?"

I agree that it "amounts" to nothing functionally - but it is a defect none the less. And if it bothers the owner, then reasonable measures should follow to make that owner happy. And a happy owner is a repeat customer.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts