1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heeded good advice given here about the Guardian and I took the plunge today. I will say right off that I am happy I did regardless of my story.

Took it to the range, cleaned and wiped the barrel from the factory lube, lubed anew and to the bench we went.

Factory mag, seven rounds - as I was joking later, the best seven rounds of 45 I ever fired. Pure pleasure, dead on, bullseye, the works. Well those were the only seven rounds because the mag wouldn't eject. The mag release moves, but somehow the mag is stuck there.

The good people of my range and later some good people of my gun store tried to remove it for no avail. And back to the CZ it went.

So that's my story for today. Never had such issue before in all my 1911s and other pistols.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Well Im glad you did enjoy the 7 rounds and can understand what all the fuss is about.. Hopefully DW will take care of this ASAP for you.. I'm sure that they will. But sorry to hear about the mag getting stuck sounds like the mag release wasn't properly fitted to me..

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mag was releasing nice and smooth when I was considering the purchase. Granted, I never tried the second mag in the box and I had no idea if it is mag or mag release related issue and which one is stuck. I also felt - and everybody in the store - it isn't our place to tinker with a brand new weapon still in the factory grease so to say :).

So, yeah - I am sure you know what I mean, but from the first time I pulled the trigger somehow I knew - IT WILL KEEP SHOOTING STRAIGHT lol. Yeah I am a convert. :)

Now is time for a little patience, a few weeks I guess.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Whatever it is - it's a simple fix and you'll be getting it back quickly. DW takes very good care of their customers.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you have not sent it back yet, remove the mag catch (it is very easy) if you can and errant mag. Reinstall mag catch and try the other working mag to see if it still functions normally.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If you have not sent it back yet, remove the mag catch (it is very easy) if you can and errant mag. Reinstall mag catch and try the other working mag to see if it still functions normally.
I was thinking the same thing. Then I decided it won't work. To verify I took a unloaded Valor out of my safe inserted a magazine and tried. The Magazine Release is captured by the magazine it will not come out with a magazine in the gun.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
oh well......just a thought. Weird situation. I was thinking of loosening anything that could be holding that mag in place. I wish I had it here to tinker with.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
oh well......just a thought. Weird situation. I was thinking of loosening anything that could be holding that mag in place. I wish I had it here to tinker with.
Yeah me too! I would take the grips off. Might see a little more and a long grip screw could be the culprit?

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I had this issue with my first CCO. The mag catch shelf was not relieved enough on the end and had a very sharp and pronounced tip at the end of the shelf. I would have to push the mag catch almost completely inside the frame to get that tip to clear the slot in the magazines. I would have to push so hard that it was leaving marks on the tip of my thumb.

I ended up replacing it as it was a standard length mag catch and I like the tactical ones but at one point I worked the ramp and that tip to where that problem was gone and I could now use 1 finger to insert the magazines.

Thanks to that experience I now work the ramp on all my 1911's, if needed, to be able to insert mags with only 1 finger.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great things to learn everybody. Thanks, friends.
The guy at the shop did try to losen or tighten the screw but it didn't help. He decided against removing the catch and I concured. As much as I wanted to get the pistol work and stay with me, I though that it wasn't worth losing the warranty if we screwed something. Just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I'm a tinkerer I would have taken it apart.. But that being said I think you made the right choice.. Patients is not something I possess. And it has cost me money in the past..:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had to send my CCO in for some chamber/feed ramp work back in January. All the emails they sent said "typical turnaround time is 4-6 weeks" but I got it back in under 3 weeks. I'm sure it just depends on their current service case load.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Maybe you got a CA model...one mag and then has to be reloaded from the top...

j/k

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have some optimistic news. Just spoke with a guy from my shop - they already called from DW and told him that something was off with the mag catch screw - whatever it was. So it works now but by the rules they must have a gunsmith check the entire pistol (which was perfect as far as I could tell from my first 7 rounds fired LOL).

So they sound as if it won't take long at all because it seems there is nothing to fix short of that mag catch release.

Just wanted to share this update. Now can't wait to get it back. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts