1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my SS Loaded and found the magazine very hard to insert. It appears the spring on the mag release button is either very tight or the angle isn't cut well to facilitate the magazine to push the release in. Is this common? I assume it will loosen up over time, but man, I really have to slam it in to feed a mag.

Also, the edges are really sharp. The serrations cut my thumb up racking the slide a few times. I am planning on using a fine grit sandpaper (or emery) to remove the sharp edges. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had the same issue with new guns and with mag releases that I replace. Remove the mag release and use some 600 grit or so sandpaper and remove any rough edges, and burrs. Do this until you get the desired result.
Also, if your grip screws are too tight your mags will be tough to get in.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Just picked up my SS Loaded and found the magazine very hard to insert. It appears the spring on the mag release button is either very tight or the angle isn't cut well to facilitate the magazine to push the release in. Is this common? I assume it will loosen up over time, but man, I really have to slam it in to feed a mag.

Also, the edges are really sharp. The serrations cut my thumb up racking the slide a few times. I am planning on using a fine grit sandpaper (or emery) to remove the sharp edges. Any other suggestions?
Don't know about the mag issue. Didn't see that problem on any of my four Springfields. Assume, the condition will get better with time.

Regarding the sharp edges, however, I strongly suggest you use fine grit "stones" to edge-break the various sharp edges. I have a SA SS, and it and every other SS Springfield I've touched had the condition. Can't believe why any mfg would consider this normal, or acceptable, but that's another story.

The stones are available from outfits like Brownells.com or MidwayUSA.com in "sets" of half a dozen, each with a different shape--round, triangular, flat, etc. The cost is nominal and a good investment for future needs. The rigid stones allow you to work on the edge without causing peripheral damage to adjoing surfaces. Some masking for the serrations will be required to avoid making a mess out of the project with overlap of abrasive action on surfaces you don't want affected. The slide lower edges were also very sharp, and those cleaned up acceptably with a couple of passes of the stone on each edge.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My Loaded model had the mag catch issue also. I sent it in last week for some warranty work and that was one of my complaints. The others were the ambi thumb safety was scratching the serrations on the ambi side and two of the grip screw bushings were stripped. None of my other Springfield 1911s have the mag catch issue so I thought it was worth mentioning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the stone idea- I will look into these sets.

Also, hope I don't have to send the gun back to address the mag issue, will give it some time and if it doesn't loosen up, I'll pull the mag release out and put a file to it.

Can't wait to put some rounds down range with it tomorrow- got it cleaned and lubed up tonight.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I polish the contact area of the mag release and make sure the magazines themselves do not have any sharp burrs where they make contact.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
The mag release on my new Kimber Covert II was very stiff and a little crunchy. The mag was also much tighter on insertion than my UCII or SA Micro. I oiled up the mag release well and cycled it a couple hundred times. It's a lot better now. I also switched over to the Kimpro mag and cycled it quite a few times; it's working well now too.

The slide serrations on my SA micro are precise, but not likely to cut you. The recoil spring is very strong and initially somewhat difficult to rack. It's better now after a couple hundred rounds, but still stiffer than the new Kimber.. Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts