1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, with the size of the first thread reaching three pages, I locked it and started a "second edition". Continue.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
Nothing's perfect. Ned Christiansen asked me to outline any flaws in my Valtro. I did so over on pistolsmith.com. Here's what I said:

You want flaws in the Valtro...OK, here are some: The plunger tube isn't staked to my satisfaction even thought it's tight. A couple of the grip screw bushings protruded into the mag well very slightly, and one was not staked well enough. It came out with the screw. Removed them, removed a little metal and used a little Loctite on them. My gunsmith is replacing the plunger tube tonight.

The grip safety is well-fit, however, there was a sharp edge on the grip safety where it joins the frame. It disappeared when the grip safety was depressed, however, it bothered me. Fixed that.

The hammer strut isn't the prettiest I've ever seen. Looks like a stamping. Might
replace it. Trigger pull is nice and crisp.

My gunsmith, Eddie Jimenea, is poking around in the gun tonight trying to find anything else that needs attention. I've known him for twenty years and he's very good. Would have cost me at least twice as much to duplicate the Valtro if he'd built it. Of course, there wouldn't have been any details left undone if he had. I also would have had to wait longer. To Eddie's credit, he was happy to check the gun out even though it wasn't one he built.

After 400 rounds the barrel lugs look good to me. Lockup is tight. Takes a little effort to unlock it. Once it breaks, it's very smooth. No problem going into battery. Have had no malfunctions and it hits what you aim at.

------------------
"Your aim in life is not worth anything if you don't pull the trigger."

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
Sammy Fan,

Recoil spring feels like a 16lb spring to me. If you put a stronger one in you'll change the rhythm of the gun. I for one do not use extra power springs because I think 1911's shoot best for me with the stock 16lb spring despite what others may think.

Brass ejection is also influenced by the ejector and the extractor, not just slide velocity.

Use some shock buffs for practice and fuggedaboudit.

------------------
"Your aim in life is not worth anything if you don't pull the trigger."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts