1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at my used brass over the last few range sessions as I was counting it into bags tonight (must really be needing to shoot and I'm at least a week from the range) and noticed that on just about all of the cases there is a small ding in the brass about halfway up. It took me a while to notice, but once I did I saw that the dent is in exactly the same place every time across several hundred cases. (a sampling of the total from a few days shooting...I'm not that bored!) All were shot from my new-to-me Kimber that has been flawless for over 500 rounds. Reading over several posts I'm guessing this is an extractor issue, but I've not seen anyone else mention a recurrent case mark as any symptom of anything. It is a very small ding, but noticeable on every case. It doesn't appear to be more than a few millimeters deep. It hasn't affected functioning thus far, but I don't want to ignore a potential trouble spot. The shop I bought it from claims to inspect all its used guns through the in-house smith and that they won't sell it if its unsafe so I'm not tooooo worried. Any help would be appreciated as I'm really just looking for some reason to spend more money on my new toy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing that I feel qualified to comment on. The gun is pretty well-used and broken in, but fit is still great and the finish is only holster-worn. The only thing I find looking closely at it is a small depression at the farthest back part of the ejection port closest to the rear sight and on the top of the slide. It protrudes just a hair into the ejection port, but is in such a bizarre place I can't see the brass hitting there consistently without jamming. The curvature of the ding is similar to what I see on the cases, though. What I wouldn't give for some fast-action photographic equipment right now! Or at any time really.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Congrats!!!! you've found it! When the empty case is extracted, it is spun around and hits that little spot on the top of the slide. Absolutly nothing to worry about. If it really bothers you, have a gunsmith file over that edge and refinish the slide.
Daniel

------------------
1 peter 5:8

·
Registered
205 Posts
My new Kimber does the same thing, even after a reliability job by a local guy. Mine don't sound as deep as yours though.

Hey, wait a minute here, where do you shoot?...are you sure that is not my brass??

just kidding,

Where do you shoot?

Mike in OKC.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mnin2deep,
Probably shoot the same place you do, H&H. So far it's the only range I've found around here that doesn't require a membership on non-match days. (Tri-City) As I don't shoot competition yet it's all I've got.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Originally posted by Scatmanblues:
mnin2deep,
Probably shoot the same place you do, H&H. So far it's the only range I've found around here that doesn't require a membership on non-match days. (Tri-City) As I don't shoot competition yet it's all I've got.
I've shot at H&H for years. Lately I have been shooting at Bob Howard's Indoor Gun Range. That is where IDPA matches are held. It is not as fancy as H&H, but Bob is a hell of nice guy, and he makes you feel at. That is something you don't always get at H&H, IMHO>

Happy shooting

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with you about H&H. Never can shake the feeling they just want to sell me something else. I'll have to try Bob Howard's place. It seems I looked at some reloading stuff there once, but I didn't register that it was a range too.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Has anyone noticed that the ejection flare that is ground into the slide is really not located correctly? It is actually ground too low on the slide (compare with a Colt slide). The brass usually goes over your right shoulder, not straight to the side...however the flare is ground for a shell that ejects straight to the side. To cure the denting, ejector and extractor tuning. And, be sure you are not using the wrong recoil spring.
-Sparks

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Oh my! Finally a problem my Kimber Super Match doesn't have! (actually, the brass dent isn't really a problem...I agree with the afore mentioning of the brass hitting the slide...could affect the finish though).

Hey! I wanna visit this highly regarded range in OK...indoor IDPA? Can I play too?

Shooter ready?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts