1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was talking with my brother in law and he told me about cleaning brass with lemi shine. I put about 150 270 cases in my concoction of lemi shine and hot water, let sit for about 4 hrs agitated occasionally, drained and rinsed. cleaned up fairly decent, but I was hoping for a bit better. so my next batch I mixed about same amount of lemi shine and water, dug into the wifes cleaning supplies and figured I would add some cascade to the mix. well it looked good at the start, poured in the cascade and the water just started bubbling. let sit for a few hours and took out cases and the bottom layer is now pinkish, with the bottoms almost white.
So does anybody have a mixture that will not take the finish off of the brass, but still take the residue off? would ideally be able to let soak over night, inside the house without smelling the place up. as it is 15 degrees here now, would have to have it inside the house and not in the garage. usually used. a vinegar mix, but can't do that now.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I've had some decent results using Simple Green. I would think that auto dishwashing detergent would be too aggressive.

·
Registered
142 Posts
What the white color stuff is, calcium deposits, caused by hard water. Totally normal.

I Lemi Shine in hot water first, drain all the water from the cases and put in the tumbler.

If you don't get the cases dry, the tumbling media can "clump" inside your cases and cause all kinds of trouble.

FYI, there is no "finish" on brass cases. Lemi Shine will only help clean the brass.

I would also deprime the brass first, to help drain the water out, before tumbling.

The main flaw in your plan is not tumbling. This is what will make the brass shine. I use Nu finish polish in corn cob media, after Lemi Shine and the brass looks like new.

Also, a little soap goes a loooong way.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Genius B-I-L.

I suspect the pleasant pink color is copper (or copper compounds) left behind
as the solution leaches your zinc from the brass. And that's bad.
I suspect the 4 hour time frame made it worse. I would never consider 4 hours.

I looked up the Procter & Gamble MSDS sheet for Cascade.
For one thing, they make about 10 different Cascade products.
I don't know which exact product you dumped in to make it foam up.
All Cascade products have hydrogen peroxide, bleach, 'proprietary stain fighter'
whatever the heck that may be, sodium carbonate, sodium silicate, silicic acid,
sodium percarbonate, and sodium sulfate.

Alkalinity varies from 9.39 to 10.93. Wee!

I think I'd stay away from the Cascade, bro.

By the way: Small amounts may be flushed down the sanitary sewer,
but larger quantities of Cascade must be incinerated. Interesting.

Winter brass cleaning: It is not necessary to make brass 'shine'
for use in ammunition. It can be dull and stained and make
match-grade ammo. So if you want it to shine like the sun
just get a mild polish and polish it by hand.

:)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Vinegar and dawn. I put about two cups vinegar and a table spoon dawn. I honestly just eyeball it, say about 1.5 gallons water. Agitate, let sit, repeat as the mood strikes. Rinse really well. Dry with towel. Put on window screen in summer, oven on lowest temp in winter.

It comes out clean but not shinny. I also deprime first.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I put about 5 teaspoons of Lemi-Shine in a gallon of hot tap water; pour over about 500 rounds of brass in a 5 gallon bucket; add a few squirts of Dawn dishwashing soap; mix up well in the bucket (stirring the brass around in the mixture); and only let sit in the bucket for about 20-30 minutes. After that they start turning pink on you. Rinse well and let dry completely. If you don't the media will clump inside brass as stated above. After that, put in tumbler with a little mineral spirits, some cut up used dryer sheets, and some NuFinish car polish for couple hours and they will look like new. I use a mixture of Walnut and Corn media from local farm supply store. The Walnut cleans and the Corn polishes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The comments are interesting about not leaving the brass in the Lemi-Shine soup for very long. I use 1 tablespoon of Lemi-Shine and a squirt of Dawn in a 2 gal bucket with hot water. I let it sit for as much as 24 hours and haven't seen any discolored cases. After drying, I tumble in walnut shell lizard litter with a tablespoon of NuFinish and it looks great.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
The comments are interesting about not leaving the brass in the Lemi-Shine soup for very long. I use 1 tablespoon of Lemi-Shine and a squirt of Dawn in a 2 gal bucket with hot water. I let it sit for as much as 24 hours and haven't seen any discolored cases. After drying, I tumble in walnut shell lizard litter with a tablespoon of NuFinish and it looks great.
Sounds like a good procedure. I bet it really shines!

His problem isn't leaving it in the LemiShine too long, it's leaving it in Cascade too long.

·
Registered
744 Posts
wet tumble

I am using a ss pin wet tumbler.. a pinch of lemishine and a pinch of dawn. And tumble for 3 hrs. The finish product looks like new shiny brass.. when I am lazy I tumble for one hr and the brass is clean but not as shiny. But good enough .. all try and post some pics

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I use lemishine, hot water, and a few drops of dawn in my sonic cleaner. The brass is deprimed with a universal deprimer first so it drains easily, cycled, allowed to dry and then tumbled in a cob/nu finish media. They come out shiny inside and out. Makes the brass go through the dies a lot smoother.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sounds like a good procedure. I bet it really shines!

His problem isn't leaving it in the LemiShine too long, it's leaving it in Cascade too long.
I left mine in the Lemi-Shine about an hour one time and they turned out pink looking. I didn't use any Cascade.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I wonder if it has to do with the amount of Lemi-Shine one uses. I now use 5 half teaspoons in a gallon of water with usually about 500 brass. I used to use a little more Lemi-Shine in the gallon. Forgot them one time and left in for about an hour and they had turned pinkish. All I use is the Lemi-Shine and a few squirts of Dawn.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm going to try this. My brass is always dull coming out of the tumbler.
It really is a good procedure. I had read about it here somewhere on the Internet and tried it and really like it. My brass was coming out very dull, and I prefer shiney. Also, my media was getting extremely dirty very quickly with all the black carbon and junk from the spent cases. I was having to change out the media after every 3-4 batches. Now I use the same media for months, and I average doing a batch of around 500 cases once a week.

·
Registered
14,941 Posts
So I was talking with my brother in law and he told me about cleaning brass with lemi shine. I put about 150 270 cases in my concoction of lemi shine and hot water, let sit for about 4 hrs agitated occasionally, drained and rinsed. cleaned up fairly decent, but I was hoping for a bit better. so my next batch I mixed about same amount of lemi shine and water, dug into the wifes cleaning supplies and figured I would add some cascade to the mix. well it looked good at the start, poured in the cascade and the water just started bubbling. let sit for a few hours and took out cases and the bottom layer is now pinkish, with the bottoms almost white.
So does anybody have a mixture that will not take the finish off of the brass, but still take the residue off? would ideally be able to let soak over night, inside the house without smelling the place up. as it is 15 degrees here now, would have to have it inside the house and not in the garage. usually used. a vinegar mix, but can't do that now.
Nothing good ever comes from a brother-in-law's advice. Why reinvent the wheel? Why not just tumble in 1420 corn cob with a little Nufinish car polish?

Adding dishwasher detergent was nonsensical.

·
Premium Member
4,988 Posts
Nothing good ever comes from a brother-in-law's advice. Why reinvent the wheel? Why not just tumble in 1420 corn cob with a little Nufinish car polish?

Adding dishwasher detergent was nonsensical.
+1, I tumble with corn cob media, ground walnut (lizard litter), and a cap full of NuFinish. If I want it to really shine I'll run it overnight. The NuFinish adds a little bit of a "slick" finish to the brass (either brass or nickel plated) that helps when they are run through the dies.

I leave the dish soap for the dish washer. :rofl:

Grumpy

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
In the event that you want to bite the bullet ... At Cabelas right now:

Cabelas Vibratory Case cleaner / "tumbler" kit (same as Berrys tumbler) ... comes with the tumbler, media, polish and brass/media separator ... On Sale for $59.99 with FREE shipping. Gets good reviews.

They had a Lyman on sale yesterday for $44.99 but it's back up to $55.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...Rprd705522&WTz_l=SBC;BRprd705522;cat104661180

If you want to go cheap ... Frankford Arsenal Quick-n-Ez case tumbler at Amazon for $39.25 with free super saver shipping. Get's mixed reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ars...d=1386250285&sr=1-1&keywords=franford+arsenal

I've had the Cabelas/Berrys unit since I started over a year ago and it's been flawless. I just picked up the Frankford Arsenal to have a smaller unit for quick clean up for things like removed sizing lube and to have as a back-up.

The inexpensive vibrator tumblers wont get your cases spotless inside and out like wet tumbling with SS pins but they pretty much get the exterior clean and shiny in one step, no washing and drying necessary. Just add a little polish or Nu-Finsh. You would be better off running them in a spare room or the garage or outside on a porch, deck, shed, etc. as they do make some noise.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Brass dull from tumbling in vibratory cleaner:

Try some fresh medium, whether corncob or walnut.
When we pick up dirty brass and then tumble it
in the vibratory cleaner, all the dirt and soot
are left behind in the medium. Pretty soon,
the dirt and soot are actually grinding away
at the brass.

Change your media regularly.

·
Super Moderator
14,943 Posts
Brass dull from tumbling in vibratory cleaner:

Try some fresh medium, whether corncob or walnut.
When we pick up dirty brass and then tumble it
in the vibratory cleaner, all the dirt and soot
are left behind in the medium. Pretty soon,
the dirt and soot are actually grinding away
at the brass.

Change your media regularly.
And, use dryer sheets to absorb the dirt & soot. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts