1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my extractor replaced at first it was tight and the firing pin mark is off-center. I ask the smithy to loosen it up a little but the mark is still off center. The brass is not going all the way up as it should but the slide goes to battery. I marked an empty resized case with primer and the mark shows a little bit on top.

It is off center about 0.3mm, (0.012"???). It might be insignificant to some of you guys but it means a whole lot to me. It was center before I replaced the extractor. Is it posible to adjust a cast extractor? I've already broken one and wilson is too expensive in my place ($50).

I adjusted it a little but the brass flys over my head sometimes in my face (4 out of 10).

Thanks for any info.

vega

·
Registered
233 Posts
vega, you said the oregional extractor was hitting center, sound like your new extractor was'nt properly prept", what kind of extractor that you used?? i would fine a differnt smith
one that has a eye for detail and knows how to properly tune your extractor for you as well. i used a ed brown and it works perfectly. im sure your extractor con be made to work. you probily can do it yourself better. i used wilsons parts in my frame except the trigger and gripps. well keep us posted. walking point probily can give you better advice.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JB - The first extractor broke (cast) and the one I'm using now is also made of cast. I brought my gun to my dealer (also my smith) and he replaced it with his stock. I'll be doing some tuning again this weekend and give you range report next week.

vega

·
Registered
233 Posts
vega, hopefully your new extractor want require much if any tuning. i used ed browns heavy duty extractor. i didnt have to do much,except smoothing the edges of the hook, it work perfectly well. it toss brass 3-5'away, if you used a cast replacement,you would just end up with the same problem,cast sucks. spring steel are tool steel is more durable. and easier to tune, if you ever needed to do so. keep us posted!

[This message has been edited by james beam (edited 07-06-2001).]

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JB,
I filed some material which I suspect is giving me trouble. I still have that problem. Brass still thrown everywhere and over my head and only(?) two feet away from me.

Gun is working fine, no FTF and FTE. I just don't feel good about it. Really need your help. There'll be competition this weekend.

vega

·
Registered
233 Posts
vega, sound like a little more adjusting
are you still using cast? also i use a 18.5 recoil spring. also have you checked your firingpin stop? if its too loose? it will allow your extractor to move.how are you adjusting your extractor??? does it strike off center with new extr? but not with the factory one still?? keep working with it

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JB,
Yes, I'm still using cast. Quality parts are bit expensive here and don't have the money to buy one. This gun is not for carry.

I insert about 1/2 inch inside the extractor hole and give it a little pull. My old extractor is broken at the tip but I use it as a guide for checking the angle.

I forgot to mention, my CD is in 9mm. I use factory spring 12 lbs. My firing pin stop is not too loose. Most FPM is little bit off center (0.12")and some are center. I'll give you range report tomorrow. There will be competition come weekend and I hope my CD will be working fine by then. BTW, it's working fine now I just want to throw that brass about 5' sideways from me and not my face.

Thanks,
vega

[This message has been edited by vega (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JB,
I showed a buddy my extractor and he told me its for .45 cal. I bought the right one yesterday and do little filing and fired 50 rounds. No FTF an FTE. Brass were thrown consistently about 135 degrees right from my line of sight. I used FMJ, Plated and LRN all thrown consistently. I hope this cast would hold up this weekend.

Thanks for your input.

vega

·
Registered
233 Posts
well vega, thats sounds more like it
perhapes cast parts will do fine in a 9mm? i have heard that cast parts can last severial thousands of rounds. i hope that yours holds up just fine. however i would seriously consider having a spair. esspecially if your shooting in matchs...perhapes one day you'll be able to get ahold of a better made one, that will last. let us know how your shoot went???

·
Registered
288 Posts
Vega,

Good luck on the match later! 'Shame your match got moved to today nstead of tommorrow. I would've wanted to watch.

BTW, I got to shoot some 170 rounds of SWC reloads yesterday and my extractor was also acting up and being very inconsistent on where it threw my brass. One of them even hit my glasses!

Its confirmed. The previous reloads I used were just really out of spec. I thought I'd have more problems with the semi-wadcutters since they had a flat nose but they fed quite well. I only had a couple of FTFs which were due to my mecgars. Its seems that the mecgar springs, unlike Shooting Star Mag springs (which are even sized all throughout its length) taper off halfway within the mag towards the follower. This happened when they were loaded to full capacity and on both mags! Looks like I'm gonna have to get myself some Power Mags.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I finished the match with just one FTF due to weak mags spring. Gonna replace that next week. My extractor did not give me any problem nor did my CD.

JB - Thanks for your help.

Malmon - Hope you could join me next time. Sorry have to change my sked.

vega

1 - 11 of 11 Posts