1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if anyone knows if it is normal for the area around the primer to be dented on one side after firing the round. Thanks

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Can you be more specific? Where is the dent - on the headstamp on the brass? Or on the primer itself?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is on the headstamp where the writing is. Picture taking a spent round and setting it primer down on the edge of a square table. Just barely on the table the pressing down and indenting it. I'm sorry for the lame description. I hope this will guve you a better idea of how to help me.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Well, if it's a DENT, no- it's not normal. If it's a scuff or a mark, then Gunner is correct.

Are you having any failure to feed problems?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Wade - I hope you're not dropping rounds into the chamber by hand, then dropping the slide... that would be bad juju.

------------------
Rust never sleeps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only load from the magazine. It is a dent and I am having FTF problems. I have already had it to Kimber once and I would like to send it again but it costs so much. They polished and worked on the feed ramp but the work doesn't look great. They also did some work on the magazines. It is an ultra carry chambered in .40 and they are the only place I can find magazines.

·
Registered
359 Posts
A couple things come to mind here.You don't say what type of FTF's you are having but it's possible the rounds are feeding in front of the extractor and then the extractor is riding over the case rim.If the mark on the case is in the shape of the front of the extractor hook this could be your problem. On short slide 1911's it is critical to have every thing set up just right. Your slide velocity is much higher so if your mag spring is a little weak or the feed lips a little tweaked,your recoil spring not the right weight,any number of things like this that a govt. sized gun would go right on functioning can give a compact size gun fits.It could also be a dent left by your ejector in compact guns like yours they use a 38 super style ejector which moves the point of contact on the case towards the primer.Possibly your recoil spring is slightly weak and that combined with the increase in slide velocity is causing the dent on your cases? Just a couple of ideas you might want to check out.

------------------
Jim Budde

1 - 8 of 8 Posts