1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forum,

I recently purchased (and posted pics and a range report) a new Baer Monolith and have a question regarding ejected brass.

After firing about 600 rounds, I have noticed brass impact marks on the slide above the ejection port (see pic). I haven't noticed these marks on any of my other 1911s firing the same factory and hand loads.

Is this caused by an extractor that is too tight? This extractor has performed flawlessly so far, so I'm hesitant to adjust it too much.

Does this have anything to do with the 18.5lb recoil spring? I use 13-15lb springs on my other 1911s. Does the Baer Monolith require a heavier recoil spring due to its heavier slide mass?

Or is this just something particular to the design of the Monolith?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
both my springfields sometimes do that too. i've been told you can have the extractor/ejector adjusted to throw brass anywhere you want. i haven't because my 1911's throw brass exactly where i want back and to the right. i think sometimes they flip brass out too far back and dings the ejection ports just like your pic. i'm a 45 brass hoover i pick it all up after a day at the range.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Having brass marks on a 1911 is not at all unusual.

In your case you face a quandary:

Ignore the "problem" and just use solvent to remove the marks after firing.

OR

Adjust the extractor/ejector and run the risk of turning a reliable gun that leaves marks into a gun that leaves no marks, but is no longer reliable.

The original 1911's usually had marking problems, as well a denting case mouths.

Target shooter's wanting to preserve their reloadable cases developed the "roll-over" bevel like your gun has.
This bevel at the rear of the ejection port allows cases to "roll" out without leaving dents, and as a side benefit, usually reduced or eliminated the brass marks.

The key word here is "reduced". Some guns just leave marks.

Leave it alone, or attempt an adjustment...your choice.

Since this is a new Baer, I'm sure Baer will do the adjustment for free, and the gun will almost certainly be totally reliable.

The down side is shipping charges to the factory, UNLESS you can get Baer to pay the charge.

If it just bothers you, Baer can set it right.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
Brass marks are common with Baers. I used to remove it with FP-10 on a toothebrush. Now I just ignore it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts