1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to you guyes and the info gained on this site, I am starting to trust my new Kimber. It's awesome.

Only one complaint, I reload so I try to keep up with my brass. My Kimber rarely puts brass behind me, it slings 95% of brass 2' foreward, and 5' to my right. I have never seen a gun throw brass foreward of the muzzel.

The first day when I went to the range with it (Pro Carry HD II), it ejected brass straight out to my right, the RO had to move the guy beside me, he was getting battered, bad. Now it ejects foreward.

It shoots reliably, should I try to fix this or leave well enough alone?

TIA guyes
Later...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I adjusted it useing links recieved by some fellows in the Kimber forum.

When the gun was new it ejected straignt out, after 3 shooting sessions the ectractor was so loose it wasn't even tuching the rim of the round. I adjusted the tension, and now it is very reliable, it just ejects foreward. Maybe it ain't such a bad thing, when everyone is cleaning up their brass behind them on the provided concrete area, I am in front of the tables in the gravel getting mine, no one to mix brass with!

Any other sugestions?
TIA guyes,
Later...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a Royal that does the same thing, and checked the extractor tension and found that it has just about NONE, but the gun has never failed to work with any (factory) load I've tried, so I leave it alone.Probably my favorite Kimber.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Others will no doubt dis-agree but I think this is a case of getting your priorities in order. If this is a defensive weapon the number one priority is that it functions reliably - every time. Second in order of priority is that you can shoot it well - i.e. hit what you are shooting at. If it is a CCW gun it should be concealable and one you will carry. There are some other things to consider but way, way down on the list is "where the brass is ejected".

Screwing around trying to get the brass to land in a particular location would probably result in a gun that throws brass exactly where you want it - on those rare occasions when it actually functions.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sounds like it is running reliably since you adjusted the extractor. Everyone wants to tell you to play with the extractor. They always say to check that first but since you have already done that I would say if you want to change the direction the brass is thrown then you should adjust the "ejector". I have tweaked mine so that it throws the brass over my right shoulder and about four to five feet behind me. It does this almost every time.

You may notice different shapes on ejectors of production guns. Some have the face angled forward, some backwards and some have a flat face. The part of the ejector face that contacts the brass first dictates the direction it is thrown. If the ejector contacts the bottom of the casing first it tends to throw the brass up and back. If the ejector contacts the top of the casing first it tends to throw the brass forward and low. Tuning an ejector takes patients at time fileing a little bit at a time and shooting between adjustments. I have done it on all of my 1911's but that is only because I am obssesive with too much time on my hands.

My recomendation is to leave well enough alone.

Just my .02,
MadDog :p

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guyes. Being I have only had one (my last) range session where the Kimber was reliable, I'm for not messing with success.

Like Dave-T said, it is more important to shoot well. I shot better at my last range session than I ever have in my life, [email protected]' and never got outside the 5" bull.

Anyway I can deal with the brass ejection as long as the guy beside me doesn't start shootin back.

Thanks again
Later....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had a total of five Kimbers (target, procarry and ultras). Everyone throws brass to the right and slightly forward.
As long as they shoot reliably and where you point them, don't worry about where the brass piles up.

CDW1911

1 - 8 of 8 Posts