1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Lee 9mm dies that I have been using for a while now. I've probably loaded a couple thousand rounds with them now. But recently I have been getting a bunch of brass stuck in the sizing die. How do I fix this?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Are you using any case lube? Were the cases clean when they got stuck?

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
Are they Carbide dies or Steel? This is important since steel dies require case lube.

Are your cases cleaned? If they have dirt and powder/bullet lube residue on them it may cause this. If your cases are clean, then try using Case Lube for a hundred or so and then things may be back to normal.

Also you should clean the inside of the die in case something got stuck in there.

Let us know more details if these suggestions don't help.

Bill

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have found that tumble cleaning with a touch of Nu-Finish leaves a slick finish on the brass. They will glide through the die with no problems.
I am assuming though, that you are cleaning your brass and that you clean your dies on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
I have found that tumble cleaning with a touch of Nu-Finish leaves a slick finish on the brass. They will glide through the die with no problems.
I am assuming though, that you are cleaning your brass and that you clean your dies on a regular basis.
^^^^this

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
9x19 is a tapered case. As such, it needs a longer carbide insert. This means that there is more pressure holding the case in die.
A little lube will solve the problem
I have never noticed any difference between clean cases and super shiny polished cases in terms of sticking. If you put a little lube on one case, the die will be lubed for the next 3 or 4 cases.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but it's not. At least I'm not. :)

Are you sure it's the sizing die? It is common for the Expander to stick, making it difficult
to drop the ram. When the case finally pops loose, it often pops suddenly with a bang.
If you load single stage or turret, it's easier to tell. If you are on a progressive, it's harder.

Just asking. :)

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but it's not. At least I'm not. :)

Are you sure it's the sizing die? It is common for the Expander to stick, making it difficult
to drop the ram. When the case finally pops loose, it often pops suddenly with a bang.
If you load single stage or turret, it's easier to tell. If you are on a progressive, it's harder.

Just asking. :)
Hopefully, the guy can see if there's a decapping pin sticking out the bottom of the die. :) BTW, I'd like to congratulate Nick for posting a concise reply, using parsimonious, rather than sesquipedalian, extra-verbose verbiage! ;)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hopefully, the guy can see if there's a decapping pin sticking out the bottom of the die. :) BTW, I'd like to congratulate Nick for posting a concise reply, using parsimonious, rather than sesquipedalian, extra-verbose verbiage! ;)
Thanks. Simple minded folk like myself had to look up the meanings of them there big words your using. I'll never be able to remember them, although I would like to.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Do you happen to be using an ultrasonic cleaner on your brass?
I've heard, not experienced that an ultrasonic cleaning on brass can sometimes cause it to stick in carbide dies without any lube...???
An Ultrasonic bath with certain chemicals sometimes leaves the brass with a dull (non slick) finish.

I HAVE NO FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE OF THIS...It's just something I read.
Don't jump all over me....I'm just the messenger. :eek:

Don2

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The thing with ultrasonics and SS pins is that you have removed the "dry lube" from the case interior.
If one questions if the problem is sizing or expanding, all one does is put a little lube on the next case. If things cycle easily, it was the sizer. If not, it is the expander. The only expander I ever had a problem with was a Lee PTE that looked like the machinist had tried to thread it...

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
My experience with Lee dies is that they are marginal at best but I haven't had sticking problems except with some collet dies for .243 and .270. My problem with their pistol dies was on a .45 ACP, it didn't size small enough. Solution: RCBS, Hornady,Lyman....................

Never had a case stick in a carbide die.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
My experience with Lee dies is that they are marginal at best but I haven't had sticking problems except with some collet dies for .243 and .270. My problem with their pistol dies was on a .45 ACP, it didn't size small enough. Solution: RCBS, Hornady,Lyman....................

Never had a case stick in a carbide die.
So, what...you just stopped by to take a swipe at Lee? I am impressed with my Redding crimp dies, which I needed instead of Lee for lead bullets, but I don't care to spend the money to be a complete Redding fanboy.

In contrast to your experience, I plan to order a custom Lee sizer in January, as soon as they open up custom die orders again. My .45 sizer is too tight and causing swaging of soft lead. It works just fine on jacketed at the .001 smaller diameter.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
>I plan to order a custom Lee sizer in January, as soon as they open up custom die orders again. My .45 sizer is too tight and causing swaging of soft lead. It works just fine on jacketed at the .001 smaller diameter.

This doesn't happen if you use the expander die actually expand the case. In some cases with lead bullets, you need to order a slightly larger expander. I have used the .38 Spl and .38S&W PTE dies to get enough case expansion so the case ID is just 0.001-0.002" less than bullet OD.

·
Registered
858 Posts
for the cast in 9mm trouble. i use the .38s&w (not .38spl) expander as it is the same length as the 9mm part and just replaces the expander (lee part# SE1699) it cost like $3 and solves the trouble
and for .45acp i went to the Lyman M die (got the whole set for $12 at a gun show)
that really made the fat lead slip in nicely

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I plan to order a custom Lee sizer in January, as soon as they open up custom die orders again. My .45 sizer is too tight and causing swaging of soft lead. It works just fine on jacketed at the .001 smaller diameter.
>In some cases with lead bullets, you need to order a slightly larger expander. <>
Which is what I will do, when Lee is accepting new orders for custom dies. Doesn't have to be Lee, so I am open for suggestions of other known sources, currently accepting orders and delivering in this lifetime.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
In some cases with lead bullets, you need to order a slightly larger expander. I have used the .38 Spl and .38S&W PTE dies to get enough case expansion so the case ID is just 0.001-0.002" less than bullet OD.
This describes what I do on occasion. 357 type expander for 9mm lead bullet, but only if needed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts