1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm giving 3, five gallon buckets of mixed, dirty, indoor range brass to a friend.
It is mostly 9mm .45 and .40S&W and 5% of other calibers.
Can anyone give me guesstimate of $ value?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
The value to a reloader is worth for more than the value of the metal itself.
I'd take whatever he offers you for it. If it's once-fired brass, I'd give 20-30 bucks for the works.

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
I'll play. :)

Data from the sticky above re: how many cases per pound and how many cases per 5 gal bucket:

Assuming the brass is 1/3 9mm, 1/3 40, and 1/3 45acp:

My calculations came up with 72# of 9mm, 70# of .40, and 48# of 45acp, which adds up to a total of 190# of mixed brass.

If the scrap value of brass is $1 per pound, gift value = approx. $190.
(not current on scrap value of brass, it could be more than I guesstimated).

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you are giving it away why are you concerned obout the cost,,who cares,,or are you looking to be repaid later ?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'll play. :)

Data from the sticky above re: how many cases per pound and how many cases per 5 gal bucket:

Assuming the brass is 1/3 9mm, 1/3 40, and 1/3 45acp:

My calculations came up with 72# of 9mm, 70# of .40, and 48# of 45acp, which adds up to a total of 190# of mixed brass.

If the scrap value of brass is $1 per pound, gift value = approx. $190.
(not current on scrap value of brass, it could be more than I guesstimated).
In my area, it's $1.60/pound for less than 50 pounds, $1.65 per pound for over 50 pounds. I've seen other areas above $2 per pound.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I'm giving 3, five gallon buckets of mixed, dirty, indoor range brass to a friend.
It is mostly 9mm .45 and .40S&W and 5% of other calibers.
Can anyone give me guesstimate of $ value?
My guess, right now judging by what I see on other forums..

9mm $30-40 per k
40sw $40-60 per k
45acp $75-80 per k

A lot of these guys are throwing in shipping with these prices, but they are selling 2-3k at a time per flat rate box.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are giving it away why are you concerned obout the cost,,who cares,,or are you looking to be repaid later ?
A friend, he has always given me ammo in the hard times. He wants to give me ammo in return, and I want to assure him, I've been paid already.
I've given him 5 or more of these buckets in the past.
My post, asking, primarily, curious. Sometimes asking is simply not knowing.
Many here have been reloading for decades, so I figured I'd ask. I asked my friend, he laughed, said he didn't know...he gets his brass from me, for free!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can I be your friend

Onegoodshot, I am a real like able guy sort of cuddly and cute I was really like to be your friend

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can I be your friend

Onegoodshot, I am a real like able guy sort of cuddly and cute I was really like to be your friend?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
A good friend indeed! These kind of things usually pay themselves back in the long run. It's good to have friends who give and take, and are there for you when you have nothing to give in return. Give away the brass, hang onto the friend, he's a keeper.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Onegoodshot, I am a real like able guy sort of cuddly and cute I was really like to be your friend?
Most of my friends, (less than a dozen in a lifetime), are crusty, sometimes thorny, often less than charming. They are people of integrity. Have wealth of knowledge, if not property. I couldn't buy the least of them with brass, cash, gold or guns. They make me rich beyond my childhood dreams.
My best friend is my wife of 4 decades. Merry Christmas Everyone!
Thanks for reminding me how fortunate I am. Blessed be the United States of America, and those that have given so much, for sometimes uncertain future.
I apologize for the emotional rant. I'm feeling lucky!

·
Registered
818 Posts
A friend, he has always given me ammo in the hard times. He wants to give me ammo in return, and I want to assure him, I've been paid already.
I've given him 5 or more of these buckets in the past.
My post, asking, primarily, curious. Sometimes asking is simply not knowing.
Many here have been reloading for decades, so I figured I'd ask. I asked my friend, he laughed, said he didn't know...he gets his brass from me, for free!:biglaugh:
This is probably the best post I have read this year.

You two guys are very fortunate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts