1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reloading my .45 for a number of years. I follow the books to the "T" as I don't know enough to feel comfortable experimenting.

My question is this.....What difference does the brass make? If I have 1000 round of mixed brass, will it effect the preformance of my loads? I now it can for rifle shooters, but does it for us pistolaros?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Different brands of brass have different volumes. This will cause slight pressure variations but for plinking or informal target shooting the differences will probably not be apparent. For competition, I would stay with one brand just to eliminate a possible variable, just to set my mind at ease about one thing, at least. Some brass may have thinner walls that don't hold the bullet with as much tension as other brands with thicker walls. This will affect accuracy more than volumetric variations.

This, of course, is based merely on my experience and observation and not on a scientifically controlled study.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I guess I have every brand of brass there is in my bucket, and I have loaded them all many times. I cant tell any difference in them when I shoot. When I load them the difference is in the primer pocket size, and maybe thinner walls, etc. Car Knocker got it right about the plinkiing etc, but unless you are one real serious competitor or have some hang up about brand X or brand Y it probally wont make a difference, but it could.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts