1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Blaster. I got the impression from doing some research that the BCM products were good. But I must admit I was starting to get a bit over whelmed with all of the possibilities.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
You really can't go wrong with BCM. They make great products and stand behind everything they make or sell.

If you want to put them on a chart, I would say they would rank very high. All business.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My ranking system is as follows:

1. Knights Armament Company (KAC), Heckler&Koch
2. Noveske, Daniel Defense, Colt, Bravo Company
3. Palmetto State Armory, Smith&Wesson
4. Everything else is hobby grade junk.....

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Another vote for BCM!

It's about time someone asked about a quality AR company. I'm sick of the subpar AR15 conversations lately!

·
Registered
422 Posts

There are others that are better then hobby grade.
Windham Weaponry is one. It is as good as S&W or even better.
RRA is pretty good also. I have a BCM and I like it but the others are good also.
Regular Colt is not as good as the other top ones. I like the Colt Competition Rifles made by Bold Ideas in Texas.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your input as you have helped me with my decision. This evening I bought the BCM mentioned in my first post.

Also ordered an Aimpoint T-1 with a LaRue High Micro Mount and a few boxes of 55 through 77 grain ammo. Some Magpul 3rd generation mags were added too. I reload but currently don't have the time to add another caliber. I'm hoping to get it sighted in with the above ammo. After the 1st of the year I will start gathering up the dies, bullets, etc.

Everything should be here next week. Now I can take a little time and decide what iron sights that I want to try. The T-1 will be my primary sight, but feel that some decent irons are just as important.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

I wish I had seen this post beforehand. I unknowingly chose number 4 by going with LMT.

Its hobby grade junk but it shoots very well. Even hobby grade junk will survive anything most of us will put these rifles through. A few Commonwealth countries were so sure of that last statement they gambled on LMT products for their military. I bought a junk scope for mine and have been waiting a year for a crap scope for the little one.

There is not a lot of mystery in building an AR. Go with a reputable manufacturer and have fun building it out to suit your taste/SHTF scenario needs.

Regards iron sights I cant recommend the KAC 200-600 folders enough. They are pictured on the top .308 LMT. Kind of pricey for a hobby rifle but I wanted to have a little cool to make me feel adequate when a Smith and Wesson guy was in the next bay at the range. Though backups they work like a main set of A2 irons. Ive since gone to the 45 offset version for use with a mounted optic.

The LMT sights shown on the small rifle are A2 sights and work very well. Just cant mount them with a scope. If you are using a red dot you could use them for cowitness duty. Fly in the ointment is that they might be hobby grade junk. Maybe check out the MAKO version.

Man the LaRue, LWRC, Seekins, JP Rifles and GAP10 owners are going to get some air let out of their tires when I explain they own teir 4 rifles. They will be like me, wishing for a Palmetto State Armory swap. Ill even give cash to equal out the difference now that I know the quality scale.

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
I wish I had seen this post beforehand. I unknowingly chose number 4 by going with LMT...Man the LaRue, LWRC, Seekins, JP Rifles and GAP10 owners are going to get some air let out of their tires when I explain they own teir 4 rifles. They will be like me, wishing for a Palmetto State Armory swap. Ill even give cash to equal out the difference now that I know the quality scale.
:biglaugh: Now that's some funny stuff right there. Nice rifle by the way, for a Tier 4.:D. I've never once read a complaint about Wilson Combat AR's, so I guess it's safe to assume that they make some decent bottom-feeders too.:dope:

As to the OP's inquiry; I don't think you'd ever be dissatisfied with a BCM. The folks down in my neck of the woods run them very hard at our local carbine shoots, and they're tough as nails. I'm leaning towards a BCM 300 blackout upper myself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You, sir, are correct about LMT. They should definitely be on that list as should Larue Tactical.

My mistake for not including them.

They are definitely not hobby grade junk.:)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well my BCM Recce-16 is here. After giving it a once over I will say that it appears to be a fine gun. So far the only thing that I have added is the Aimpoint T-1 mounted with a LaRue High Micro Mount.

For iron sights I am leaning towards a set of Troy folding front and rear sights. In the meantime I may get a set of the Magpul folding sights until I decide for sure what setup I want to settle on. Then I could just move the Magpul's to my S&W 15-22.

I haven't been able to make it to the range yet, but hope to do so in the next few days. In the meantime I will start to research other accessories such as slings and sling mounts, rail cover panels, a mounted light, etc..

I have bought a few boxes of 55,62,69, and 77 grain factory ammo to get it sighted in and get used to the rifle. I plan to reload ammo too, but will be a month or two before I will have time to do so.

I want to thank everyone for for your guidance, it really helped me make my decision to go with the BCM brand.

Anyway, here's a quick picture of the new addition:

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Bravo Company builds a solid rifle in every respect.

AC

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
It's nice to see someone make a great decision when buying an AR! Excellent choice for sure!

pmclaine, that is one hella nice LMT. I'd love to have one, but sadly that's well past my price range.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts