1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted in regards to my first STI purchase and mentioned both the Spartan and Trojan. However, I am leaning towards the Trojan in .40. With that said, I want to have a little custom work done and am looking for recommendations.

I would like to have:
- The trigger taken to 3# and have the gun fine tuned
- Fixed rear sight (For carry purposes)
- The Recoilmaster enhancement
- Thin Grips
- Ramped front sight

Anyone feel strongly about having the fixed or adjustable sights in the rear? I know I will carry this gun some and want the best of both worlds. A gun that is comfortable for carry, but yet can hang in competition too. I may even go for the Fixed Tritium 2 dot sights, haven't decided yet. Opinions?

Anyways, I have been looking at both Brazos and Dawson and am leaning towards Brazos currently. Pros, Cons, recommendations? Thanks

DH

·
Registered
358 Posts
Either smith would be great. Fixed rear sight and ramp front sight are standard factory options.

For a carry gun I would not chose a recoil master. I have a recoil master in my Edge and I love it, but for a carry gun i like something simple, GI guide rod or a plain steel one. Less parts to break.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Either Dawson or Brazos will take care of you.

I just did a Gun Build order thru Brazos and the gun is coming from STI with all the work being done by the manufacturer, which I prefer. I would be too worried of the slide or finish being marred after the fact...

If you can wait 4-8 weeks for STI to build it, this is the way to go. Check STI's website for the options you want and have STI build it. If they do not offer the mods you want, then I am sure Dawson or Bob at Brazos can do a professional job of putting the additional gizmos on the gun. Both Dawson and Brazos do trigger jobs, but many of STI's guns coming from the factory have 4lb. trigger pulls, anyway. I would not go below 4lbs for a carry gun, anyway. Regarding your thoughts on sights, and what this gun is primarily going to be used for (the range), the standard adjustable is the way to go. With this size of a gun I doubt you would be CCW it often. I would also consider the option of the fiber optic front sight.

I liked working with Ingi at Brazos. She is patient and is very professional. Plus, they really seem typical of the 'small' family business that takes pride in what they do. I would lean towards them.

Good luck.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
I can't say anything bad about either of those guys!
I have a Brazos .38 Super and shoot with several folks who also shoot Bob's guns....They work!!! They are expensive but...work.
Dave built the gun I made GM in LTD with....It works.
Dave may be quicker but either is worth waiting for.
Adam Popplewell was shooting his Brazos OPEN gun last Saturday and handed us a big whipping. The gun has to right to run that fast all the time!
For a carry gun I think Dave may be faster and less expensive.

As far as work being done by the manufacturer, Bob and Dave equal or surpass the factory!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on a Trojan 9mm...it's either that or a S&W PC952 or maybe a Baer Premier II 9mm, a used Wilson 9mm 1911...but those latter two tend to be tough to find used (let alone at a decent price), and I'm getting tired of internally debating the issue.

Along with Brazos and Dawson, has anyone tried Thunder Mountain? I see their Gunbroker ads, and they appear to offer a pretty good program. Anyone with experience with TM?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Along with Brazos and Dawson, has anyone tried Thunder Mountain? I see their Gunbroker ads, and they appear to offer a pretty good program. Anyone with experience with TM?
I recently purchased a .45 Eagle from Thunder Mountain. I have no complaints. When they were selling bullets, I was a regular customer as their prices and customer service were excellent. Their website usually has better prices than their GB ads.

·
Registered
736 Posts
The thing that immediately jumps out at me is that Dawson and Brazos charge $150 for trigger pull and feed ramp work, checking function, etc., and Thunder Mountain says they do it at no charge. Anyone know why the discrepancy, and if it's a heckuva deal...or a case where you get what you pay for?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The thing that immediately jumps out at me is that Dawson and Brazos charge $150 for trigger pull and feed ramp work, checking function, etc., and Thunder Mountain says they do it at no charge. Anyone know why the discrepancy, and if it's a heckuva deal...or a case where you get what you pay for?
Thunder Mtn charges full retail for their guns. They can afford to "give" you a little something "free".

Dawson and Brazos both sell at a 10% discount. If STI sees anyone selliing their guns for less than that, their contract goes away..

Also, Dawson will only work on guns that he sells.. I don't know what the policy at Brazos is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts