Discussion Starter #1
what is the word? should a breach face
be polished or does it matter? i like
the look of a polished breach and it seems to be functional. but what are the
thoughts on this real or hype? thanks

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Polishing the breech face is a good option. I've heard of (but never experienced) cartridge rims hanging on a little burr at the firing pin hole, thus not allowing the weapon to fully go into battery.

I wouldn't get carried away with metal removal, however. A little polishing goes a long way!

Best of luck,
Callahan

·
Registered
713 Posts
...polishing the breechface can really smooth up the action. However, you have to make sure to keep the breechface perpendicular to the line of bore and the metal surface flat-don't introduce waves to the breechface surface. The measurement from the first lug to the breechface determines your headspace so be careful to not get carried away if you don't know the measurements here! As for the firing pin hole just break the edges so it won't catch the brass...also don't get carried away here!...too much bevel will let brass shards accumulate and maybe forced into the firing pin hole possibly causing a jam in the future.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Inspector Harry Callahan:
Polishing the breech face is a good option. I've heard of (but never experienced) cartridge rims hanging on a little burr at the firing pin hole, thus not allowing the weapon to fully go into battery.

I wouldn't get carried away with metal removal, however. A little polishing goes a long way!

Best of luck,
Callahan
thanks for the imput. i had a further
conversation with a 1911 smith and was
told a machined but not polished breach
will allow lubricants to adhear to this
surface longer. i think there are some
options and opinions but i go with
function then looks. i really enjoyed
having your alls thoughts.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I do polish them, well, stone them, really. I do it the same way I do most of my polishing/blending, with mold polishing stones. It generally doesn't take much, a five minute job, that should give you an idea of how much metal comes off. Maybe a thou. Some are really rough, most are fair to start with. I just smooth 'em up and get all the lines going up and down, usually hit it with a 300 stone and then give it a couple swipes with a 600. For a person without the stones, I'd say a popsicle stick and some 400 wet/dry paper, wet with WD40, would work just as well. I also give the firing pin hole a tiny chamfer by hand, on top, with a little carbide three-cornered thing I have made. Every once in a while you'll get a gun where the case rim, sliding up the breechface, will get hooked in the FP hole; the little chamfer prevents this.

[This message has been edited by Ned Christiansen (edited 12-03-2001).]

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Ned, you gave away the secret.
I have been using a popsicle stick and emory paper for years.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
563 Posts
Great post by Ned. I always polish the breech face and chamfer the firing pin hole slightly. It's just part of my reliability tune up.The case rims need a smooth surface to slide up on as it's feeding. Eagles Law: "If it doesn't work when you need it, you will never need it again."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts