1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I hope this is the right place. I have some break free I bought like 5-6 years ago and was wondering if it expires. SO far I have heard just to shake it real good. Its the liquid kind that ls like an oil you pour.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,951 Posts
I have some older than that.
Shake HARD to mix the Teflon back in.
Yes, you must shake it for quite some time to get the Teflon back into solution.

Hilton Yam (Modern Service Weapons http://modernserviceweapons.com ) used to knock (I'm sure he still does) Break Free CLP because you needed to shake it. I used to laugh at that. I mean who doesn't shake their Break Free before they use it? It wasn't until I transferred some of my Break Free from the black Break Free bottles to the little Brownell's clear needle tip bottles ( http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...e-bottles/needle-oiler-bottles-prod44434.aspx ) that I realized how right he was. You really have to shake that stuff a lot to get the Teflon off the bottom of the bottle, especially if it has sat for a while.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The Breakfree is probably still good as long as it wasn't contaminated with something. As others have said, shake well, very well. Me I'm old and old fashioned. I use a cleaner to clean and a separate lube to lube my weapons.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Actually the current Breakfree CLP is now sold by Safariland (who bought the name) and they have stated that (1) it has no Teflon AND (2) then said later that it does but the Teflon no longer comes out of suspension so it doesn't need shaking. I'm not sure what the case actually is any more. I haven't seen any of the old Mil spec CLP that had Teflon which settled out of suspension since around 2005. The old stuff NEEDED a good shake. If you want real Mil spec CLP - G96 CLP is currently the only one that meets the new specs.

·
Administrator
73,054 Posts
I recently used up a bottle of Break-Free that I've had for over 10 years. I started putting it in a small CLP bottle with a tiny straw, and it always plugged up the straw and wouldn't come out. I was glad when I finally finished that bottle and bought some new Break-Free from the gun shop. So far I haven't had any issues with the straw plugging up, which seems to confirm what drail said.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Yup, I used to fill small squeeze bottles from a gallon jug for bench use. I never had the "straw" get plugged up though. You musta had a skinny straw. But you could definitely see the Teflon in the bottom of the bottle before you shook it up good. I am not one who tries every new fangled gun lube that comes on the market. Mil spec CLP has always worked very well for me. Seemed like the old stuff lasted a little longer on a hot barrel and bushing in the summer. I am tempted to try some of the G 96 CLP just to see if it works any better.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Back when I was in the retail/wholesale firearms business, I was given enough of the small bottles of BreakFree CLP to last a lifetime as "samples"---I've had some of these things for over 25 years---SHAKE WELL and continue to use as lube + no rust---never had any reason to switch to anything else...

·
Registered
15 Posts
stupid breakfree

It leaves a bad fild that drys, its crap!!!

Just go buy Full synthetic monil one or others,, You can all read magazines
and be soldiers,,
Full syn oil wont burn, never wear off
100 times more slippery,,
So go waste ur money lol

A gun is a machine,, it runs like a engine, heat n all,,
So read gun mags and buy stupid stuff !!!!! ha ha
Ps, gov weapons are coming with syn grease and oil now,, learn and save a lot

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Your Breakfree is GTG, shake well, rinse & repeat.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts