1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any specific ammo I need to use to break in a new Baer, or can I just go down to Wal-Mart and clean out their WWB 45?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Thats what I did...it will work fine.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
WWB will be fine, it's always functioned perfectly in my guns. I don't want to open the "break in" can 'o worms, but your gun should work out of the box. Yes, it will loosen up with a bunch of rounds thru it, but it should function 100%. Call it a "test period" before you carry it :) . I have two Baers and I used several types of factory ammo before my reloads simply to eliminate ammo as a problem IF I had any issues. I didn't have any ('cept for the sh*tty mags that came with my Monolith). Good luck and congrats on your new piece!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Do we really have to use factory to start with or can we just go right to our reloads?

If I do run some factory ammo I sure the heck am not buying 500rnds of it. I figure maybe 150 rnds of factory then on to my reloads would be ok.

I dont recall what I did with my Super Tac but I am pretty sure I didnt run 500 rnds factory in it.

After that point I pulled out the guide rod and put in my Sprinco system which I love and still no failures. I guess I will do something along the same and just shoot the thing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I just bought a TRS. I spent an evening at the range last week and ran about 500 rounds of mixed ammunition through it as a break in. I had a bunch of old reloads and mix-matched factory stuff kicking around; I figured that it was a good chance to use up some of it. I had a couple of failure to return to battery in the first 100 rounds; after that, all was good. Overall, I was truly impressed; I thought that I'd have issues feeding the mixed magazines though it.

My carry round is the Hornady 230 grain XTP +P. I ran two boxes of that through the TRS at the end as a function check, all was good. I see this as being one fine weapon. I don't think a run of 500 rounds is excessive to get the pistol broken in. I know some folks say it shouldn't be needed; but, I'm going to do at least that before I'm comfortable trusting it as a defensive weapon anyway.

Hank

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I haven't bought a new gun in a while. But my break-in method is 100 rds of WW wally world. Clean and lube and 500 rds of my dirtiest lead. Then 2 full mags each(8+1 of whatever carry ammo) strong hand weak hand 2-hand. If it doesn't malf, I figure it should be good to go as a crry gun when it's clean & lubed. That's what I do. I hear Baer's usually need closer to 1K to be considered "broke-in". Tracy

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I hear Baer's usually need closer to 1K to be considered "broke-in". Tracy
My Stinger took about 1500 to get straightened out...I had to keep changing recoil spring weights till it settled down...now it runs a 20# for the regular stuff and a 22# for the high octane loads...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Yeah that sounds about right to me as well.

I will shoot 100-150 factory crap then my reloads until I feel its broken in then practice a bit with a box or 2 of what I plan on carrying.

Still want to find out more about carry reloads because that would make me feel better about whats in my gun. Need to sort through the drama first and ask this in my CCW interview.

·
Registered
412 Posts
After that first 100 rounds, my TRS had no troubles. I shot strong hand, weak hand, and even purposely weak wristing my grip; I was impressed. The pistol is definitely smoother now after the 500 rounds than fresh from the box. I'd imagine that it only gets better from here!

:rock:

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm not really sure what it takes to "break in" a Les Baer but mine is flawless out of the box with factory ammo. I've put a 100rds. of Blazer through it and the brass flew about 9 ft..The only thing I've noticed is I've had to increase the powder in my reloads over what I was shooting in my well worn Colt and Kimber. But truthfully, after shooting this thing, I may just sell my other guns .

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I always find these discussions very interesting. No flames intended please. Baer recommends (or at least did when I got my TRS) that you run 500 rds. of Fed Am. Eagle 230gr fmj. through it before field stripping. Do nothing more than wipe it down, run a patch through the bore (used a snake), add Break Free to the rails. Does/did he get a kick back from Federal?

I don't know. I figured he knew more about his machine than I did so I followed it. I'm over 25k rounds in this pistol now and it's (and always has been) flawless. My carry load is either 230gr Hydra-Shok or 230gr Golden Saber, standard velocity only (in 30 years with the 1911 I've yet to find a reason to beat one up with +p ammo).

Is it any different than following a car/motorcycle mfg's break in procedures? Looking for honest discussion, not slamming anyone's own precedure if it varies. Thanks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I tend to use the Federal American Eagle brand ammo. in my 1911s anyway. I find it to be quite consistent and reliable. I honestly had not heard of a specified brand that Baer recommended for break in. I figured that it really didn't matter much, just make the pistol cycle a few hundred times. I used up what random ammunition I had on hand and bought another case of the American Eagle for the real stuff.

Hank

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I don't really think it'd matter much as long as it's good quality ammo. WWB, BB, AE, or anything that runs reliably in your gun you should be GTG. I used WWB since it's the cheapest out there, maybe some ammo will take longer to break in than the recommended AE, but the end result is still the same.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
You really think its necessary to run 500rnds factory or is about 100-150 factory ok followed by reloads before a cleaning?

I dont see why it would matter so this is what I plan to do but if you know of any good reason why not I would love to consider it.

By the way my reloads would be target loads both lead and a lighter load so perhaps a few more required for break in but all the same in the end.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Well I do know that Baer builds his guns to tighter tolerances than the original gun was designed around as well as using a full length dustcover on his 4.25" guns as opposed to the shorter dustcover that say Colt uses on it's Commander models.

I'm sure Les has his good reasons for the recommended break in procedure, I've never asked what they are.

As I stated, I'm willing to assume that he knows more about how his gun is designed to work than I do. Perhaps, like an engine & other parts on a car (which Les has plenty of experience with as well), his pistol parts need to "work in" together before they are at the ideal fit. Don't know, just guessing.

Now that doesn't mean the weapon isn't fit for defending your life with before that happens but it may increase the reliability. As others have stated I didn't consider the 500 round break in to be terribly difficult to achieve. I usually shoot between 2-300 rounds a session anyways. The first weekend I had my TRS I shot 700 rounds over 2 days, total time on range was perhaps 3 hours. Since this gun is designed for self defense I wanted to go with the recommended ball ammo for the break in, then ran 200 rounds of my preferred sd load.

I just used my usual drills and zipped right through, it was a total kick in the pants.

Food for thought, no?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Its not the amount of rounds its not wanting to buy factory when I can shoot reloads for a ton cheaper. I am trying to see if anyone knows why a particular brand would work vs another or why reloads wouldnt do just the same.

All I can think of is to expect some failures with lighter target reloads then full power factory but no big deal. I dont ever remember my Super Tac having an issue with them and I know I didnt buy no 500 rnds factory stuff.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Use your reloads.........

I certainly can't see one good reason for wasting money on fresh factory ammunition just for break in purposes. All you're trying to do is cycle things to get the parts to mate better. Unless your reloads are complete "powder-puff" loads......you should be just fine.

Hank

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Now thats exactly what I think as well!

I dont get the point but thought it good to ask first. For sure I wont break it down for a bunch of rounds just to allow all the parts to seat however when I do at about 500+ rounds I will drop another Sprinco device in that baby. I love the 2 I already have and the peace of mind my gun is getting less abuse with lead rounds and a energy absorber when just plinking around. I do plan on using it in my carry gun since I love it so well and feel it really helps my shots.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
If I reloaded and knew I had a great load worked up I'd probably have used that during the initial process. I don't so I went with what was recommended. I have tried other factory loads over the years and for my TRS the Federal is the most accurate of the fmj rounds with Remington and WWB running just about equal for 2nd place. The pistol just feels smoother with the Fed stuff but perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part:).

For a long time I frankly used whatever I got the best price on. My 2 most recent classes were run with the Federal & Remington respectively. No issues.

I envy those that have the patience to hand load & seem to enjoy it as well. I never did when I tried eons ago. I was fortunate that at the early stages of my shooting days I was provided all the ammo I wanted. Now I definitely shop for sale prices.

A friendly suggestion that you rethink carrying reloads for your sd ammo. Bounce it off whomever you talk to regarding your permit but I'd suggest you also ask a good trainer, maybe even a respected lawyer that knows about deadly force cases.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts