1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remember correctly a 500 rnd break in period with ball ammo is recommended.
I'm anxious to run some "Bill Wilson Signiture" 230gr HAP thru a new Professional but naturally its HP so I'm holding off. (Although 500rnds is approaching)
I'm always mechanically curious and I can understand avoiding hot loads like +P but I'm wondering exactly what is the reason in holding off on HP's :scratch:
Thanks GP

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I didn't hold off on hollow poitnts. I fired 50 rounds of Golden Sabre and 100 rounds of my HST (my defense ammo).

·
Premium Member
13,764 Posts
G, generally FMJ feed the easiest and is good to use to loosen up the gun, and to try to eliminate as many reliability "stress" variables as possible while breaking in the gun (just like you might use a known-good magazine rather then the new ones which came with the gun during breakin)....But there is no hard and fast rules - you can use HP if you want. I do think standard rather than "Match-wimpy" ;-) or hot loads would be best to start with though and as such make sure you have a working "baseline" under standard conditions.
C.A.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I only shoot 100 round of ball in a Wilson then go to the good stuff. Now if it's a tight a$$ Baer sticking to the 500 Ball rule is a good idea. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Breaking in my ULCC a few weeks ago, I used mostly 230gr Fiocchi and Blazer Brass, but also cycled in some 200gr HP carry rounds, no issues at all with any of it.

Darren

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys
Just returned from the range. Gun ran flawlessly once again. I think I could run M&M's thru it.
Next time up its HAP. I got 1000 rounds on a recent WC sale ��

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Mine run perfect on the new Hap 200 GR and the remafactured stuff. It will eat the 200 grain wadcutters too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts