1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'll be getting my ECO in a couple of weeks and I'd like to get some recommendations for good ammo to break her in. I was thinking about Federal American Eagle .45 ACP 230 Grain FMJ as it seems to be at a decent price of $18.00 per box of 50. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Fed Eagle is fine - but my go-to ammo is Speer Lawman 230 Gr TMJ. It's very accurate, reliable andconpetively priced. It also is very clean - better for your gun(s) and you lungs. It has the same ballistics as GoLd Dot - just the bullet is different.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Any good places recommended for ordering? The lowest price per box I found is over at Ammunition Depot.

Thanks again!

Fed Eagle is fine - burnt go-to ammo is Speer Lawman 230 Gr TMJ. It's very accurate, reliable andconpetively priced. It also is very clean - better for your gun(s) and you lungs. It has the same ballistics as Gokd Dot - just the bullet is different.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
From page 13 of the owner's manual:
"5. Use only quality factory ball ammunition for the break in process."

Pretty much any FMJ will work. For my ECO I used PMC, WWB, Federal, Freedom Munitions, and Speer. I would stay away from steel and aluminum casings. I don't know what DW considers "quality" ammo, but I would stick with brass.

·
Administrator
73,016 Posts
Stay away from Winchester White Box, Wolf (or anything steel-cased), and Blazer aluminum. Also don't use reloads until you know the pistol is 100% reliable with factory ammo. Clean and lube it well before the first range trip and make sure you've got a set of decent magazines. Lastly, have fun breaking in your new toy.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
My goal with a new gun is to make sure it is not picky. Pickiness is a sign of something needing adjustment IMO.

So I like to use many different brands of ammo during break in. This includes WWB, Federal Aluminum and Brass cased ammo, Blazer AL an Brass, Remington UMC, PPU, Perfecta and many others I can't think of right now.

·
Administrator
73,016 Posts
DSK, just curious why no WWB. I know it is not premium ammo, but there is no steel.
I've had terrible inconsistencies with WWB power-wise, plus I've had rounds straight out of the box with obvious deformities like case mouths torn from seating the bullets. If you're trying to break in a new pistol and be assured that any malfunctions are the gun's fault and not the ammo's then don't use WWB.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
DSK and NDL thank you both. I do not buy WWB any more but still have a lot of it. I have Speer 245 ball. And you may think I am crazy, but Walmart sells a brand called. perfecta no steel and unbelievably consistent and clean. 100 rounds and very little to clean.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts