1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Breakfree all I need to keep my firearms in good shape, because it is a cleaner, lubricant, preservative. or should i use militech for lubrication and mpro7 for cleaning?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I really like Tetra Gun products for their rust prevention and lubricative qualities. Tried everything else. They have a good bore solvent too.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I tried BreakFree a few times. Honestly I was not very impressed. It stank up my whole garage and made more of a mess than cleaned my pistols.

I really, really like MPro7. This stuff will get your guns CLEAN!. They also have a bore gel that you can swab in the chamber/barrel. Let that stuff set in there for 5-10 minutes and your gun will come CLEAN!
But, you MUST lube the gun properly after using MPro7. It strips away so much of the old gunk and oils, the metal is completely bare. MPro7's own lube works quite well.
I also like Kleen-Bore's Formula 3. It is a CLP, and does a pretty good job.

But, for a pistol carried EVERYDAY in a holster, I recommend a good grease/paste lube. Wilson's Ultima-Lube come to mind. It works quite well. When you carry a pistol muzzle down day in and day out, the oil can and will run down the slide and out of the gun. This why you hear people talking about having stained shirts/pants. Their gun's oil ran down and out onto their clothing!!

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I believe Breakfree CLP is all you need to maintain your firearm. Find their web site and read about their testing by the military. It dries, which leads some people to believe that it's lost it's lube properties, but it won't attract residue like so many of the others.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I used to use Break-Free CLP for all gun lubrication needs, but when applied to the slide rails, some of the CLP would end up on my glasses while shooting!

Now, Tetra-Gun Grease is used on the slide rails and locking-lugs, and CLP everywhere else.

If I could use only one product for all gun cleaning and lubrication, it would be Break-Free CLP.

-Mk.IV

·
Registered
445 Posts
HEY MEDIC 1:GUNNUTS HERE,I use all TETRA products,except to degrease and wash out my guns,then I use valvoline synpower brake parts cleaner,It cost a lot less than the gun type degreasers,jusy my 2 cents.

·
Registered
9 Posts
While I was in the service (medic, 91B
) we transitioned from RBC (Rifle Bore Cleaner) to clean and LSA (Lubricant Small Arms) to both lubricate and protect from rust to using Break-Free CLP for both.

Break-Free was a great improvement over RBC & LSA, I love it and it's the one product I've been using since. I have been listening with interest, tho, to the Militec posts as a possibly better product for lubrication?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have used Breakfree CLP for years and it does a good job for me...allthough I must admit it stinks to high heaven...

Question??? I know the stuff penetrates...How bad is it for you when it soaks in your hands...I manage to get both hands covered with it at least once every couple weeks.....

·
Administrator
72,126 Posts
I happen to like the smell of Break-Free. Then again, I don't use the aerosol. The only thing I like the smell of more is the old GI bore cleaner. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Administrator
18,583 Posts
Moving to Maintenance/Troubleshooting...

·
Registered
126 Posts
QUOTE]Originally posted by J MAC:
...How bad is it for you when it soaks in your hands...[/QUOTE]

Hello J MAC,

Disposable latex gloves will protect your hands. These gloves are thin enough that you won't lose your dexterity. They are available in the paint dept. at Home Depot and in many pharmacies.

-Mk.IV

·
Registered
70 Posts
I Have found Break Free to be one of the best penetrating lubricants around. This means it will get under anything ! I was using it as an all around lubricant when I shot a Scope loose on a 30-06, that had been mounted for about 10 years. The little bit of Break Free I had wipid the exterior of the rifle off with had penetrated under the rings and into the threads of the Loc_tited screws. Now I use B.C. Sheath for exterior metal, and Super Lube Teflon Grease for most other surfaces. I still use Break free as the best penetrating oil I have found for loosening rusted parts etc.
Rob

·
Registered
387 Posts
On the subject of Militec-1, I caution against using it, mainly because it is a lousy rust preventative.

Militec-1 has no benefits that I can detect, in either field testing or in comparing the test results to other products on the market. The word "hype" comes to mind...

Mpro7 is a detergent cleaner, much like your household dish soap. It leaves a film on your guns, which I don't like. It is far too expensive, compared to it's effectiveness, but some guys love it. Mpro7 lube sucks, no nice way to put it.

Break-Free CLP and MPC FP-10 are true CLP's, and can be used quite effectively as a bore cleaner, lube, and rust preventative. The military forces of 28 nations, along with the California Highway Patrol, use Break-Free CLP as their sole gun care product.

Best CLP-type products I've ever used/tested:

Break-Free CLP(better protectant than FP-10) www.break-free.com

MPC/Shooters Choice FP-10(better lubricant than Break-Free, or any other oil on the market) and PL-10 grease www.mpc-home.com

BTW, Break-Free CLP is non-toxic, and is not an irritant to normal eyes and skin. It's one of the safest gun care products on the market.

[This message has been edited by CH (edited 09-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by CH (edited 09-28-2001).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts