1911Forum banner

Breaking in a holster

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  xxring 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I hate to bleed of ignorance here, but I just got a new Galco Jackass shoulder holster for my Tac II and I was wondering if anyone had any special "breaking in" advice they'd care to share with me. I read all of the documentation that came with it, but it seems sort of vague to me. I've never really dealt with this before so I was looking for a touch of pro advice.

Thanks many times in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
For tight holsters, try breaking it in numerous times (25 to 50 times). On some holsters, the break-in is all it will take. Beyond that, you have some choices...

1. You can use a product like Leather Lightning or Hyde Glide (I think it's called that...the name escapes me). It makes sliding your pistol into the holster easier, without damaging the leather. It also supposedly allows you to speed up the break-in. Don't know how good it works; haven't tried it...

2. You can also wrap your pistol in a thin bag (without oil or anything that might damage your leather) and stuff the pistol in the holster overnight or a few days (depending on how tight the fit is). This I've tried and it works.

The two methods above is what I see most practice/recommend.

Hope this helps.

#7 ·
Galco sells a holster lubricant made by Galco to assist with breaking-in a holster. It's called Draw E-Z 1/2 fliud ounce sells for $5.00. You can get it directly from Galco or any Galco distributor.

The directions are : Apply to the inside of the holster. Spread it over all areas that come into contact with the firearm. Wait 5 minutes after applying the lubricant to the holster. Will not harm the holster or firearm. Repeat as needed.

#8 ·
Great advice! Thanks a lot. It all sounds good. I've already broken it in wear-wise like AZ said,; that much has gone great. Problem is that I don't have the gun here for a few days to handle the rest, I can wait though. Now I know what to do when it comes home. I'll follow the advice on here to avoid them sloppy holes. Right now it's more like a prom date, so I hope I'l find the happy medium. Thanks again guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.