1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of activities can be done to continue mating the bearing surfaces of our guns without actually shooting. As many of you know I'm shooting a Rock River Arms these days and it's tight as a drum and smooth to boot. After about 900 rounds one might think it is broken in, but not quite.

The last time I went shooting (up in the mountains) I ran a lot of rapid fire sequences through it, thus heating the barrel significantly. (Some of you may have noticed my recent post regarding barrel heating).

During cleaning and inspection I noticed a tiny bit of gouging of the slide where the leading edge (upper front corner) of the dust cover, on the right side, is making contact. This contact is on the trailing edge of the front of slide cut-out. I've looked in my Kuhnhausen to see the name but I haven't fount it. The blueing has been worn and a little contact groove has begun on the slide.

I decided to do some light sanding on the dust cover leading edge, corner, and inside wall; these being the points where I could see varying degrees of contact was occurring. However, I would like to sit and rack the slide over and over, or something, to ensure continued proper wear, and follow-up later with a range test.

This question has been prompted by this problem, however it also stands as a question dealing with regular things to do that might help it further break-in, without actually shooting.

*Going shooting is not always possible. Moreover, when I rack the slide, those of you who know me should know that I do not drop the slide, I mearly rack it fast whilst holding it throughout the entire cycle. I am a firm believer that slides should not be dropped on an empty chamber.

Thank you and Regards,
Galileo

ps, Havoc...hope you're doing well, we haven't spoken in a long time

JimV -- you too!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Well, I suppose you could take the recoil spring out, then manually cycle the slide a few gazillion times. Or leave the spring in place for the high-impact aerobic version of the same exercise.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Galileo, Did you call Gay at RRA? I would. Let us know how it turns out. Sam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts