1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a report on the local television news -

A local gas station had an individual (disturbed based on PD spokesman's description) outside the building waving a large hunting knive and banging on the windows. Clerk called police and suspect fled.

Female officer located suspect hiding behind car in alley a few blocks away. Ordered suspect out and to drop weapon. Suspect began to advance and officer fired one shot.

Suspect was down but not out. He got up and charged the officer. She was stabbed with the hunting knife at a downward angle near the collarbone, behind her vest. Backup caught up to her at this point, challenged the suspect who turned on the other office and attacked again. Second officer fired until suspect went down for good.

The female has been transported to the local trauma center and is surgery as I type this.

Please say a prayer for this officer.

I'll post an update as soon as the news provides one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
yep lets hope she comes thru ok.. My son-in-law is LEO. They train here to double tap. Infact I heard an officer that has to shoot and does not double tap canget written up. I think that is best for the officers safety..
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like she's going to make it. :)

Suspect was on her before she had time to do anything. She was actually stabbed multiple times. Details on the local news website this morning had better details on the order of events.

From WLKY Newschannel 32

Suspect Dead, Officer Recovering From Stab Wounds
Confrontation Led To Police Shooting

NEW ALBANY, Ind. -- A suspect was killed and an officer injured in a confrontation on a local street late Monday.

The incident happened at about 9 p.m. in an alley between Oak and Elm streets in New Albany, WLKY NewsChannel 32 reported.

The officer is being treated at University Hospital in Louisville. Her name has not been released.

The officer was stabbed repeatedly when she got into a scuffle with the suspect at about 9 p.m., New Albany police Chief David Graves said.

The scuffle followed a report of a knife-wielding man who tried to break a window at the Swifty gas station and convenience store at Spring and Silver streets.

Officers found the man about three blocks away, and he was shot several times during the confrontation, NewsChannel 32 reported.

"(The suspect) went toward the officer," Graves said. "He was told to drop the knife. The suspect attacked, stabbing that officer."

The officer who was stabbed shot the suspect at least once, according to NewsChannel 32. After being shot the first time, the suspect got up and tried to attack a second officer, who also shot the suspect, police said.

Paul Sible lives near the shooting scene. He said everything happened quickly.

"A cop pulled up to corner and asked if we'd seen a kid with a knife," Sible said. "I heard they found him, and a few minutes later I heard four to five gunshots."

The officer is expected to recover from her injuries, Graves said.

The man died at the scene. His name has not been released.

"They were loading her in the ambulance, and the police officer was screaming, 'It hurts, it hurts,'" Sible said.

New Albany Police and Indiana State Police are investigating. Additional details are expected to be announced Tuesday afternoon.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More details released today -

Mother: her son was angry before police shot him

Monday night New Albany police shot and killed fifteen year old Brandon Erdman after police said he stabbed an officer.

The injured officer, Laura Schook, was in University Hospital on Tuesday after treatment for wounds to the neck and shoulder.

Both Schook and another officer, Craig Pumphrey, fired a total of five shots at Erdman.

Tuesday, New Albany police and the Floyd County prosecutor said they believed the shooting to be justified -- that the officers involved feared for their safety.

Investigations into the shooting will continue for several weeks.

Erdman was a freshman at New Albany High School and just moved back to Indiana after living with his father in Florida.

His mother, Mindy Hardin, wonders if he was afraid of police officers, after she says an officer pulled him out of class in September to question him further about possession of drug paraphernalia.

He never went to court over those charges but after that, Brandon's mom says he harbored a lot of anger at authorities.

Hardin had police looking for Brandon because she and her son had argued just hours before the shooting. She said Brandon had been drinking alcohol before he kicked out her car window, angry he couldn't return to his father's in Florida until later that night.

Police encountered Brandon, wielding a knife in an alley. Police say he stabbed an officer and that's when the cops started shooting.

Brandon's mom says he had been treated in the past for depression but wasn't currently on any medication.

She says he was a typical teen liked rap music and baggy clothes. She says Brandon won't be buried in a suit that wasn't him. Instead he'll be wearing a nylon sweat suit. His funeral is scheduled for later this week.
===================================================
Not in this text, but part of the video was the usual angry reaction from family saying his crime wasn't serious enough to be killed over. "They should have shot him in the knees to keep him from moving around" said one. Followed by another saying "They don't want to do that, when they draw they are trying to kill"

On a lighter note, the prognosis for the officer is good. She is scheduled to be released from the hospital in the next day or so.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I hope the Officer will recover.

This "poor (unfortunate) good boy" won't be a problem ever again.

Somehow, I can't see that as a bad thing.

Cheers!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Fraser Any ID on the firearm and ammunition the officer was using?
Hard to say. There are a couple of approved weapons/calibers for the department, and what the officer is carrying is dependent a bit on when they were hired.

My department contacts have all retired and their is nothing written about their equipment in the paper.

A total of five shots fired, with one miss. Hits were in chest, back, and abdomen.

I can tell you alcohol was involved, and they suspect drugs as well but they are still waiting on the toxin tests from the state crime lab. This probably affected his reaction to being shot. It took

The suspect had an 8-inch 'military style' knife. The officer was very lucky. The suspect stabbed her in the upper chest near her collarbone. The surgeon said if the angle had been slightly different or penetrated deeper it would have pierced her carotid artery.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a follow up to this comment:

A total of five shots fired, with one miss. Hits were in chest, back, and abdomen.
It's a small town but the department takes their training very seriously. They have a wireless electronic target system that allows them to create some very realistic and stressful situations. Officers are required to use their issue guns and ammo.

The alley(crime scene) is narrow. Barely wide enough for two cars to pass.

Lessons learned-
Tueller was right In confined spaces even with weapon drawn, the bad guy will be on you before you can fire. Be prepared to move.

One shot stops rarely do. Keep firing until there is no threat.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It was a 40S&W more than likely a SIG 229. The officer has been on the force for 8 years and allowed the subject to get too close (remeber the 21 foot rule). My department trains us to shoot till the threat goes away. I am glad the officer will pull through and hope for a speedy recovery. As far as the 15 year old freshman in high school it is a waste of a life but he made his choices and it cost him dearly. I am sure we have not heard the last of this

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Denny said:
The officer has been on the force for 8 years and allowed the subject to get too close (remeber the 21 foot rule).
True. But read my comment from the post above:

The alley(crime scene) is narrow. Barely wide enough for two cars to pass.
I agree he was too close, but this is a narrow alley in an older neighborhood. If we stood on opposite sides against the garage walls we would be less than 21 feet apart. Add to that he was hiding and appears to have already been moving in the officers direction when she ordered him down.

Of the five shots fired, two were from the officer who was stabbed. It appears that was all she was able to fire before BG was on her.

This is a big testament to shooting while moving off the line of attack. I don't know if the officer moved or stood her ground, it hasn't been published in the news accounts. But I definitely think it made/would have made a difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts