1911Forum banner

Breech flaw/issue on a .45 Tisas 1911...

3235 82
This is the new A1 Service Special 5". So when I went to fit a new extractor, I got that part set up and in spec. But when looking at closeups I noticed a flaw. The cartridge was not seating completely after I dialed the extractor in and got the hook off the case. The issue is obvious. There is a high spot or something that holds the rim of the cartridge from seating completely on the left side of the breech. You can see the witness marks and the height at which the cartridge sits. You cannot push it completely flat to the breech. The pistol shot fine but was a bit erratic on ejection, but never failed to feed or eject jhp or ball ammo.

So I need to fix that LOL. It's a tight spot, suggestions on how to cut that flaw down?

Gas Gadget Font Screenshot Rectangle

Fluid Water Gas Composite material Concrete

Gas Cylinder Metal Titanium Tints and shades
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Administrator
80,184 Posts
Careful use of a needle file or stone will take care of that in a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
1911's, a bunch and counting...
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fellas. Still has a little edge but I'll finish it up in a bit, had to take the lady to lunch. I've been at pistol stuff all morning and my little indoor work area is in full adhd mode.

Already fitted a new fps and extractor that needed shimming. Set up and used my new vise, man that's a nice tool. Finished measuring the project pistol and ordered some more tool stuff and parts. Going to tune and fit the stock extractor as a backup later today. Almost done fixing the flaw. What else? It's cold and wet outside so it's a great pistol work day. Oh yeah, picking up some new gas so I can try my hand at silver brazing with the new vise. That'll [email protected] get ready LOL.

Bumper Tints and shades Rim Automotive exterior Automotive design

Eyewear Wood Asphalt Funeral Font

Product Black Textile Table Bottle

·
Administrator
80,184 Posts
Remember to leave an ever so slight radius at the corner of the J-cut. Sharp 90-degree edges like to crack over time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Okay, so here my perspective...
You shouldn't have to "repair" a new firearm.
Any modifications should be done by a qualified gunsmith.
If you are considering buying a firearm that you think you will need to modify to make it "behave" the way you want it to,...Don't. Keep looking and invest in the firearm you are REALLY trying to find.

IMO: The bottom line answer regarding why this is an issue... It's a Tisas.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
If you are considering buying a firearm that you think you will need to modify to make it "behave" the way you want it to,...Don't. Keep looking and invest in the firearm you are REALLY trying to find.

These forums are awash with higher-end guns having function issues and being packed up and returned for service.
Shhhh. We who own them, like them.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
*Not pictured in the collection is a Tisas Gen3 PX-9 which is currently being fitted with a tritium front sight.

·
Vendor
69 Posts
It is common to have small issues in this area on raw machined slides that need to be touched up at the bench. During the machining process three different tools make cuts that intersect here. Your particular example is pretty bad, you are doing the right thing fixing that. A barrel locking lug file is quite handy for this area. Use a small stone to smooth out the small file marks and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
550 Posts

I wonder, have Colt 1911's ever had to have minor tuning to get them to work reliably?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts