1911Forum banner

Breech flaw/issue on a .45 Tisas 1911...

4411 Views 82 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  2nd Amend Steve
This is the new A1 Service Special 5". So when I went to fit a new extractor, I got that part set up and in spec. But when looking at closeups I noticed a flaw. The cartridge was not seating completely after I dialed the extractor in and got the hook off the case. The issue is obvious. There is a high spot or something that holds the rim of the cartridge from seating completely on the left side of the breech. You can see the witness marks and the height at which the cartridge sits. You cannot push it completely flat to the breech. The pistol shot fine but was a bit erratic on ejection, but never failed to feed or eject jhp or ball ammo.

So I need to fix that LOL. It's a tight spot, suggestions on how to cut that flaw down?

Gas Gadget Font Screenshot Rectangle

Fluid Water Gas Composite material Concrete

Gas Cylinder Metal Titanium Tints and shades
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
1911's, a bunch and counting...
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fellas. Still has a little edge but I'll finish it up in a bit, had to take the lady to lunch. I've been at pistol stuff all morning and my little indoor work area is in full adhd mode.

Already fitted a new fps and extractor that needed shimming. Set up and used my new vise, man that's a nice tool. Finished measuring the project pistol and ordered some more tool stuff and parts. Going to tune and fit the stock extractor as a backup later today. Almost done fixing the flaw. What else? It's cold and wet outside so it's a great pistol work day. Oh yeah, picking up some new gas so I can try my hand at silver brazing with the new vise. That'll [email protected] get ready LOL.

Bumper Tints and shades Rim Automotive exterior Automotive design

Eyewear Wood Asphalt Funeral Font

Product Black Textile Table Bottle

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yep. I love working on things and making them better. When I buy a cheap pistol from a proven brand, I don't expect $5k quality. What I do expect is a solid base to improve upon and that is EXACTLY what Tisas delivers. I will buy another Tisas for that reason. I will probably buy another brand at some point, I do own 4 Springfields as well.

Bogeyman, I have learned more here about 1911's from the professionals and professional amateurs that frequent this forum, than any video or guide could show me. As noted, many Colts had to be "repaired" straight from the factory as have many other truly high end pistols. I find your attitude towards this a bit irritating, but I apologize for that. If you want to spend your money and ship things back and forth for easily correctable and educational issues, go ahead. There is a tremendous amount of satisfaction in learning about these pistols and I have a lot to learn, but I guarantee you, you can't learn by shipping a pistol back and forth. I choose to learn and improve the pistol.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
But I'm glad you got the issue corrected...

And that is why I love this place. I thank everyone that helps me and I try to give back by posting my experiences and findings. I hope I inspire others to attempt working on their own 1911, safely and properly.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I learned what a J cut is. I compared.it to another pistol and filed/stoned the erroneous part to match. It is fixed. In the end it is just a little bit of metal and once you know what to fix, you're halfway there.

Now to shoot it Thanksgiving day and see if all is well. Hopefully that could help straighten out the erratic direction of ejection.

Funny it ran fine though. But it just wasn't "right" . Had to be fixed.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The problem with Dremels is that they have minds of their own and tend to wander, if you know what I mean.
I am positive that I wouldn't put a dremel in that small of an area. One thing I am finding out is that I have a knack for small files. I enjoy working with my hands and seeing the results.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm still wondering why you needed to fit a new extractor to a new pistol? :unsure:

Because the stock extractor was too long and had for too much deflection. Too much deflection is harder to cure than too little. Just easier to fit a new extractor. Plus I like the difference in shooting feel when there is a small radius fps and 14lb recoil installed.

Plus this is a project base gun and will be extensively modified when it's done.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I don't know about the Raptur but when I competed in IPSC in my range bag was a pre tuned tested extractor,I never left home with out it.

I am fixing the stock extractor with a shim and will address the deflection by attempting....to add some silver brazing to the locating pad and that will give me enough material to set deflection properly. I need practice with the silver brazing. Got to make @Oldpistol proud since he has tried to teach me about silver soldering and even sent me some. If I can get that down I will be using it as a method of attaching the shim permanently to extractors as well, among other things.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
As long as the consumer continues to accept a product with sub-par quality control and have an "Aw shucks, it's just a minor problem that I know my tools and abilities will enable me to fix it" the manufacturer/importer will continue to pump out a crappy, dysfunctional product. My Stingray is on it's second trip back to the Mothership to fix the same set of problems, AGAIN! And I will continue to send it back until it's done right. I'm not about to start taking on/doing other people's jobs. These "I'll just fix it myself" consumers are enablers to SDS/TISAS. Overwhelm them with warranty work that never should have left the factory and they will get their act together.

I get it and that's your choice. But don't insult those that want to learn and work on their own pistols. Facts are, even the best products have flaws. Fixing it under warranty or yourself is a personal choice. You act as if Tisas is the only brand to come out of the factory with a flaw or setup issue.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Truth be told, the flaws @therapture found probably would not have caused any true operational issues. I found an improper j-cut on the breach face of my Loaded Springfield Armory 45. An arguably average production model. Sending a gun back if it malfunctions is fair game. Swamping a warranty department for minor production misses will only serve to increase the out the door prices on future guns.
Joe
Indeed it ran out of the box just fine with only a minor claw height adjustment to get it off the case.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Chuck Rogers, a custom smith posting here under the name Pistolwrench, has bought at least 4 Tisas 1911s as base guns for custom creations. That speaks well of the inherent quality of the guns. Recommendation enough for me if I was looking for another 1911 . Tisas would be a top contender.
But I can’t tell you how to spend your $.
Joe

Also for someone like me....if I spent 350 bucks on a tisas to modify and I end up fubar'ing it....well....it's about learning. And cheap learning is better than megabucks learning.

Plus something cool about showing someone a "cheap" pistol and they comment on the looks, feel, and function....and are surprised what is started as.

1911's are fascinating and I want to learn more. I don't necessarily want to spend 5k on a pistol. I can afford it because I have worked hard my entire life. But I'd rather spend 5k and have 3 or 4 or 5 pistols that run flawlessly and look good to boot.

And that's why I want to learn more and continue to increase my skill set and build my own. With help from the awesome people here at 1911forum.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Yes. We are nitpicking. As I stated the pistol ran flawless @120+ rounds. But I am trying to learn and that flaw just won't do.

This is a project pistol, I want to create something that performs. That looks good. That I can be proud of. We are learning to fix and repair and modify. If problems didn't occur then there would be no need of gunsmiths. A machinist can cut slides and serrations and polish parts. Machines can cut and drill slides and frames and parts. A GUNSMITH can create, repair, improve, tune, tweak. He can create art. He is both machinist and artist, engineer and laborer.

If I can learn 1/10 of what some of these masters here can do, I'd be doing pretty good.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I took my Tisas $319 Service Special to the range today. This is it's third trip to the firing range. The only two things I have done is to file down the extractor tip so it didn't contact the cartridge case groove, and to replace the original plastic grips with another pair of cheap plastic grips. I fired maybe 80 of my 200 grain reloads from 4 different magazines. Gun operated flawless. I'm sold on it.

Yes. In my opinion Tisas is getting better. This A1 "service special" is a home run for me. Compared to my first Tisas B45 carry, this pistol feels better, shot great, and has the classic defined lines of the GI but with far better sights. Oh yeah and a cool hammer. The B45 has been modded quite a bit and is one of my two favorite edc guns.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Looks pretty sporty. I am not so sensitive as the Princess and the Pea that a full size 9mm feels "sluggish" but I would like to try a lightened slide. Not CO, though, I haven't fallen that far.

How many Tisas parts remain?
I bet the cost savings of a Tisas vs Colt or SA is lost in the noise of a major rebuild like that.
Not when you can do the work yourself. Parts are cheap. Labor is costly for someone else to do.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
"Not when you can do the work yourself."

Well consider a smiff with a 5 year back-log in his vault.
10 hours of labor is still 10 hours of labor.
Those 10 hours could be billed to a customer or used on a personal build.
The cost remains the same.

It's no cheaper for me to work on my own guns than for the cost to a customer.

My labor is cheap LOL. I have no backlog. :LOL:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts