1911Forum banner

Breech flaw/issue on a .45 Tisas 1911...

4405 Views 82 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  2nd Amend Steve
This is the new A1 Service Special 5". So when I went to fit a new extractor, I got that part set up and in spec. But when looking at closeups I noticed a flaw. The cartridge was not seating completely after I dialed the extractor in and got the hook off the case. The issue is obvious. There is a high spot or something that holds the rim of the cartridge from seating completely on the left side of the breech. You can see the witness marks and the height at which the cartridge sits. You cannot push it completely flat to the breech. The pistol shot fine but was a bit erratic on ejection, but never failed to feed or eject jhp or ball ammo.

So I need to fix that LOL. It's a tight spot, suggestions on how to cut that flaw down?

Gas Gadget Font Screenshot Rectangle

Fluid Water Gas Composite material Concrete

Gas Cylinder Metal Titanium Tints and shades
21 - 40 of 83 Posts

· Registered
NRA Life Member, Range Safety Officer, Basic Pistol Instructor
5,500 Posts
Okay, so here my perspective...
You shouldn't have to "repair" a new firearm.
Any modifications should be done by a qualified gunsmith.
If you are considering buying a firearm that you think you will need to modify to make it "behave" the way you want it to,...Don't. Keep looking and invest in the firearm you are REALLY trying to find.

IMO: The bottom line answer regarding why this is an issue... It's a Tisas.
We are all working under the supervision of some very credible smiths here.
That is HOW one becomes "qualified".

· Premium Member
1911's, a bunch and counting...
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yep. I love working on things and making them better. When I buy a cheap pistol from a proven brand, I don't expect $5k quality. What I do expect is a solid base to improve upon and that is EXACTLY what Tisas delivers. I will buy another Tisas for that reason. I will probably buy another brand at some point, I do own 4 Springfields as well.

Bogeyman, I have learned more here about 1911's from the professionals and professional amateurs that frequent this forum, than any video or guide could show me. As noted, many Colts had to be "repaired" straight from the factory as have many other truly high end pistols. I find your attitude towards this a bit irritating, but I apologize for that. If you want to spend your money and ship things back and forth for easily correctable and educational issues, go ahead. There is a tremendous amount of satisfaction in learning about these pistols and I have a lot to learn, but I guarantee you, you can't learn by shipping a pistol back and forth. I choose to learn and improve the pistol.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
But I'm glad you got the issue corrected...

And that is why I love this place. I thank everyone that helps me and I try to give back by posting my experiences and findings. I hope I inspire others to attempt working on their own 1911, safely and properly.

· Registered
251 Posts
The first problem was ripe for a Dremel fix. Carefully done, it would have fixed that spot in a jiffy! These are $300 1911s- not $4,000 Wilson Combats! I wouldn't have thrown a fit about having to hone up one a little.

· Administrator
80,968 Posts
The first problem was ripe for a Dremel fix. Carefully done, it would have fixed that spot in a jiffy!
The problem with Dremels is that they have minds of their own and tend to wander, if you know what I mean.

· Premium Member
6,353 Posts
I think you did a great job!
First, you recognized an issue.
Next, you came up with a solution.
Then you fixed it.
It really didn’t take long to repair and you learned something.
Most people will send it back to get repaired and most of the time they don’t.
You saved yourself a headache for sure.
Most of my Colt’s required my extractors to be tuned and a couple needed the ejectors tuned to get to run reliably.
I won’t send off a gun to the Factory for that. In today’s World I won’t risk sending it. I’d rather fix it my self.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I learned what a J cut is. I compared.it to another pistol and filed/stoned the erroneous part to match. It is fixed. In the end it is just a little bit of metal and once you know what to fix, you're halfway there.

Now to shoot it Thanksgiving day and see if all is well. Hopefully that could help straighten out the erratic direction of ejection.

Funny it ran fine though. But it just wasn't "right" . Had to be fixed.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The problem with Dremels is that they have minds of their own and tend to wander, if you know what I mean.
I am positive that I wouldn't put a dremel in that small of an area. One thing I am finding out is that I have a knack for small files. I enjoy working with my hands and seeing the results.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm still wondering why you needed to fit a new extractor to a new pistol? :unsure:

Because the stock extractor was too long and had for too much deflection. Too much deflection is harder to cure than too little. Just easier to fit a new extractor. Plus I like the difference in shooting feel when there is a small radius fps and 14lb recoil installed.

Plus this is a project base gun and will be extensively modified when it's done.

· Premium Member
425 Posts
I'm still wondering why you needed to fit a new extractor to a new pistol? :unsure:
As long as the consumer continues to accept a product with sub-par quality control and have an "Aw shucks, it's just a minor problem that I know my tools and abilities will enable me to fix it" the manufacturer/importer will continue to pump out a crappy, dysfunctional product. My Stingray is on it's second trip back to the Mothership to fix the same set of problems, AGAIN! And I will continue to send it back until it's done right. I'm not about to start taking on/doing other people's jobs. These "I'll just fix it myself" consumers are enablers to SDS/TISAS. Overwhelm them with warranty work that never should have left the factory and they will get their act together.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I don't know about the Raptur but when I competed in IPSC in my range bag was a pre tuned tested extractor,I never left home with out it.

I am fixing the stock extractor with a shim and will address the deflection by attempting....to add some silver brazing to the locating pad and that will give me enough material to set deflection properly. I need practice with the silver brazing. Got to make @Oldpistol proud since he has tried to teach me about silver soldering and even sent me some. If I can get that down I will be using it as a method of attaching the shim permanently to extractors as well, among other things.

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
As long as the consumer continues to accept a product with sub-par quality control and have an "Aw shucks, it's just a minor problem that I know my tools and abilities will enable me to fix it" the manufacturer/importer will continue to pump out a crappy, dysfunctional product. My Stingray is on it's second trip back to the Mothership to fix the same set of problems, AGAIN! And I will continue to send it back until it's done right. I'm not about to start taking on/doing other people's jobs. These "I'll just fix it myself" consumers are enablers to SDS/TISAS. Overwhelm them with warranty work that never should have left the factory and they will get their act together.

I get it and that's your choice. But don't insult those that want to learn and work on their own pistols. Facts are, even the best products have flaws. Fixing it under warranty or yourself is a personal choice. You act as if Tisas is the only brand to come out of the factory with a flaw or setup issue.

· Premium Member
425 Posts
No insults intended, just the facts as stated. As long an the consumer accepts and remedies the problem, the manufacturer will continue to allow the defective product out the door. It's the old adage: "water finds it's own level"

· Registered
5,986 Posts
No insults intended, just the facts as stated. As long an the consumer accepts and remedies the problem, the manufacturer will continue to allow the defective product out the door. It's the old adage: "water finds it's own level"
Truth be told, the flaws @therapture found probably would not have caused any true operational issues. I found an improper j-cut on the breach face of my Loaded Springfield Armory 45. An arguably average production model. Sending a gun back if it malfunctions is fair game. Swamping a warranty department for minor production misses will only serve to increase the out the door prices on future guns.
Joe

· Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Truth be told, the flaws @therapture found probably would not have caused any true operational issues. I found an improper j-cut on the breach face of my Loaded Springfield Armory 45. An arguably average production model. Sending a gun back if it malfunctions is fair game. Swamping a warranty department for minor production misses will only serve to increase the out the door prices on future guns.
Joe
Indeed it ran out of the box just fine with only a minor claw height adjustment to get it off the case.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts