1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Tucson, AZ - Feb 01, 2008 - Vltor Weapon Systems today announced the launch of the Fortis Pistol Project, a modern version of the famous Bren Ten style pistol.
Originally released in 1982, the Bren Ten pistol was designed to advance the state of the art in handgun technology. Designed to fill the need for a full size, full power, double action pistol, the Bren Ten created immense interest as a potent choice for law enforcement and military use.
Developed as a pistol and cartridge combination, the Bren Ten was the first production pistol to chamber the powerful 10mm Auto cartridge. In its original loading, the 10mm Auto was capable of launching a 170gr buller at 1,300 fps - generating over 600ft/lb of muzzle energy.
Unfortunately, the original Bren Ten and its successor fell victim to business management and financial problems - but the demand for a high quality American made, full size, double action pistol has still not been filled.

According to Eric Kincel, the General Manager for Vltor, the Bren Ten may have truly been a design that was ahead of its time; "Now is the time to make this pistol. With today's precision manufacturing techniques and the superior materials available, the Fortis will be a pistol line that is everything people hoped previous attempts would be."
Eric pointed out that the Fortis is nearly identical to the original Bren Ten in exterior appearance and ergonomics, but that some changes have been made to improve reliability, safety and strength. "The Fortis, while based on a twenty-five year old idea, is very unique. It offers a high tech, high quality pistol that more than fills the demands for a full size, magnum power auto loader."

The first released Fortis will be a "duty gun", a full size, all steel, high capacity 10mm Auto that will reliably answer the call of professionals and sportsmen that rely on a good pistol. However, Eric is quick to point out that the Fortis Project is a line of pistols based on one common design. "There will be other versions of the Fortis...different calibers, sizes and options specific to certain applications." When asked if they intend on releasing a faithful reproduction of the original Bren Ten, Eric's answer was simply "We sure want to".

Fortis Pistol Proposed Specifications (subject to change in final production)

* Manufacturer - Vltor Weapon Systems
* Model - Fortis (original release)
* Type - autoloading pistol
* Operation - Semi-automatic, Double/single action
* Caliber - 10mm Auto (others to follow)
* Barrel length - 5.00"
* Overall length - 8.75"
* Height - 5.75"
* Width - 1.30"
* Weight - 38 ounces
* Safety - reversible thumb and firing pin block
* Sight radius - 6.88"
* Sights - Adjustable, 3-Dot combat style
* Rifling - 5 Groove, radiused, RH twist
* Stocks - Engraved polymer panels
* Capacity - 12 rounds
* Finish - Black Steel Slide and Subdued Finish Stainless Frame"

·
Registered
21,980 Posts
I wish them luck. I remember the attempt by Voit, the basketball company, to set up a subsidiary to make the Bren Ten design as the Peregrine. They could not get satisfactory work out of a contract machining company and the project folded. Which shows the futility of trying to get other people to do the hard part for you.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I saw that, and am hoping it succeeds.
I had one of the Bren Ten Marksman Specials (45 ACP), and I thought it was a really good design, if somewhat sloppy in construction and finishing here and there. I heard rumors of cracking slides in that particular version, so was afraid to carry it "seriously" or even shoot it much.

I always wondered what the gun would be like had it been made by someone else.

I'm trying not to get too excited over this, since The Perigine failed, and I know of at least one other attempt that never even got that close.
But if it does come back, I'd buy one...unless it costs $2,000 or something silly.

I was leery of that Marksman I had, but would be willing to carry one that I trusted more.
Mine had a great trigger (both DA and SA, which is not that common in my experience) and the grip felt just wonderful.

I do wish them the best of luck.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Please tell me this is true. I will be in line to buy one and .45ACP, 22 Conversion and other versions. Time to get out my Miami Vice Suits and get a Galco Miami Classic Shoulder Holster. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
DAMMIT! and I just put a Glock 20 on lawaway....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Now, I would be in for that! I love the appearance of the original Bren Ten and only held one. 10mm, although more "oomph" than others is controllable with experienced shooters. I can't wait!:rock::rock::rock:

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Ah, who am I kidding? I'd buy it in 10mm just becuase I'd be afraid the company would go out of business before they made the 45.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I loved Miami Vice and the idea of the Bren 10. But...bringing back a double action pistol in an overly powerful SD round is a bad idea. Either an improved Delta Elite for hunters or a Glock 20 for amped up combat gun is better

·
Registered
538 Posts
I loved Miami Vice and the idea of the Bren 10. But...bringing back a double action pistol in an overly powerful SD round is a bad idea. Either an improved Delta Elite for hunters or a Glock 20 for amped up combat gun is better
Th 10mm was only over-powered for plastic guns like Glunk's. I'll grant to you that in a full-sized steal-framed gun it may still have had too brisk a recoil for some users, but, imnsho full powered 10mm's are still more SD practical than a .357.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Well, I hope it succeeds. I'll buy one and if they don't come it stainles I'll "Crockett" it. :biglaugh:

Another pistol I hope makes an appearance someday is the CZ 97B in 10mm.

But I won't hold my breath.:(

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
...Another pistol I hope makes an appearance someday is the CZ 97B in 10mm...
You beat me to it. Miami Vice nostalgia aside, a 10mm conversion for CZ 97B might be the shortest way a to Bren Ten-like pistol.

·
Super Moderator
13,559 Posts
Is this it? Maybe I don't watch enough TV.

Joe
No. This is it:

It was on just about every gun magazines in mid 80s, the gun, not the show.

·
Registered
435 Posts
10mm is a .40s&w on speed!

It's a good round for handgun hunters, but otherwise useless IMO. .40s&w uses same bullet and is plenty fast enough for self defense.

Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.