1911Forum banner
81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Now were all pissed off...

Greetings fellow Bren-Ten afficionadoes,

It seems that the only thing VLTOR is successful in manufaturing is anger at themselves for yanking the chains of all the Bren-Ten fans out there. I cannot believe they don't get why we're all pissed off at them.

They should've been more upfront about whatever problems they were encountering & let us know that they're still working on it.

But instead of garnering patience & understanding all they done is make us hate them for all this crap. It's a disservice to us & dishonor to the memory of Col. Cooper​

HardtAttack​

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
In looking over the government-calculated handgun production figures for 2009, Vltor's subsidiary (or division, or whatever you want to call the company in Florida that is/was supposed to build the Bren) built some hundreds of pistols, so the Bren may have been very close to production at that time
In view of the fact that BATF views serial numbered frames as "guns" and frames must get serial numbers as soon as they are substantially ready to receive internal parts, I would assume that these "guns" are just first articles of manufacture and not complete working firearms.

Why:bawling:
Nobody wanted or needed them I guess. The cases are really nice as opposed to, say, the product Smith & Wesson used to ship with their premium N-Frame guns. The included real red velvet liners. However, the gun's cutout under the cloth was proprietary and that may have made it just a PITA to revise these for other guns. It was so long ago that; who knows?

Bruce

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, I was surfing the web and found this thread, nice...
I'm a proud owner of a mint condition Bren Ten Special Forces, and although I know nowadays it's kinda a high price museum piece, I just can't resist shooting one magazine from time to time (not more than once a year).

Oh the 10 mm fire...

Thought you'd like it.

Regards,

Rod.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm a proud owner of a mint condition Bren Ten Special Forces, and although I know nowadays it's kinda a high price museum piece, I just can't resist shooting one magazine from time to time (not more than once a year).

Oh the 10 mm fire...

Thought you'd like it.

Regards,

Rod.
Damn. I don't think I've ever seen one fired. In person or in a pic now that I think about it.

TTR

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,137 Posts
Over at the Bren Ten forum, a letter, signed by Abrams, is reproduced that indicates Vltor is still working on the Bren Ten project. There are some explanations and apologies, but unlike all the "not no, but hell no" that emanated from Vltor during 2012-2013, now they're back to desiring to make the best Bren Ten-ish pistol they can.
I do not count myself among those who felt that Vltor had been lying, cheating, and angling to take the first-born of everyone who wanted a Bren Ten, but admit to spending my "Bren Ten Fund" on other stuff.
I'd still like to see a functional, durable 10mm pistol out of Vltor.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
I parted with 2 this past year. Both LNIB. Certainly nothing remarkable about them. Many, better pistols out there for a lot less money.
They are in fact legitimate collectable. Those interested in the two that I had, had no intention of shooting them.
They do nothing better than other pistols. JMO

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
My part of the 10mm legacy is owning a 6 inch S&W 610. I bought it to bear hunt then never used it for that.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Oh the 10 mm fire...

Thought you'd like it.

Regards,

Rod.
Not to throw stones on your awesome piece or the acquisition thereof, but on the Bren Ten forum there is a standing warning to NOT fire one unless the weapon has been magnafluxed/inspected for cracks.Apparently Dornaus & Dixon had a run of defective castings , and any info to determine the affected serial #'s is lost to history.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Over at the Bren Ten forum, a letter, signed by Abrams, is reproduced that indicates Vltor is still working on the Bren Ten project. There are some explanations and apologies, but unlike all the "not no, but hell no" that emanated from Vltor during 2012-2013, now they're back to desiring to make the best Bren Ten-ish pistol they can.
I do not count myself among those who felt that Vltor had been lying, cheating, and angling to take the first-born of everyone who wanted a Bren Ten, but admit to spending my "Bren Ten Fund" on other stuff.
I'd still like to see a functional, durable 10mm pistol out of Vltor.
I'm certainly hoping they do too even in this day of polymer striker fired pistols.

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Too rich of a price point for my blood. There's a lot of brand new quality handguns that can be had well under $1000 that fire 10mm reliably.

Cool story behind the Bren Ten, but I can't get myself on-board with the nostalgia of it. Maybe if it had more of a history to it in service or theater of war. It's not an original M1, Colt Peacemaker, BAR, Thompson, MG45, John Wayne's underwear, etc.

·
Super Moderator
23,137 Posts
It's possible to get a nice, new car for $20,000, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like a '67 Jag. The heart wants what the heart wants. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Too rich of a price point for my blood. There's a lot of brand new quality handguns that can be had well under $1000 that fire 10mm reliably.

Cool story behind the Bren Ten, but I can't get myself on-board with the nostalgia of it. Maybe if it had more of a history to it in service or theater of war. It's not an original M1, Colt Peacemaker, BAR, Thompson, MG45, John Wayne's underwear, etc.
It's only the first 10mm production handgun ever made, haha.It's was also the closest Jeff Cooper ever came to making his ideal handgun -he even carried a Bren Ten for a time.

Today, I'd just pick up an EAA Witness and have done with it.The current USPSA international champion uses one, and in spirit it's everything the Bren Ten tried to be.My own example has churned out 100 full power 10mm rounds with zero failures

·
Super Moderator
23,137 Posts
Yeah, the Witness Stock II in 10mm is pretty close to being a Bren Ten. An acquaintence had one in .38 Super, and it appeared to be very nicely made. Since the new Vltor pistol wouldn't really be a Bren Ten either, would it really matter, from the perspective of someone who wanted a sort-of CZ in 10mm?
There's a video on youtube of a prototype CZ that mates the 97 frame with a SP01 slide, chambered in 10mm. It looks nice, but I wonder about the pounding taken by a slide designed around the 9mm cartridge?

·
Premium Member
9,178 Posts
I never understood the mystique surrounding the Bren Ten. It looks like the result after a night of debauchery between a S&W 4506, CZ 75 and a Delta Elite. :D Plus I can't say that I ever heard of anyone having one that was reliable.

Though Miami Vice made everything cool back then!

Someday, I really have to find someone who has a 10mm so I can give it a try. Those things have a fanatical following so there definitely has to be something to them.
In my opinion it mostly comes down to obscurity and the exclusivity anymore. Besides Jeff Cooper backed it (it was after reading his musings on it and then his complaints over the .40 caliber cartridge that I realized his biggest failing was that he happened to be a great man that knew he was a great man). Gun owners and Bren Tens remind me of thirteen year old girls and Unicorns in away: everyone wants to own one so they can make all the other girls jealous.

If I just had to have a gun in the same vein as the Bren Ten I would get a Witness Limited Pro II or Stock II in 10mm and walk away happy as a clam.

Vltor will manufacture the Fortis right between never and ain't ever gonna happen. Last I checked they abandoned that project awhile back.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I do not count myself among those who felt that Vltor had been lying,.....................
Well Rick, if you don't believe Vltor was lying, maybe you should go back and reread the things they posted on their blog before they took it down trying to cover their tracks. If you can't recall what they said, I have a PDF of what they claimed was happening and what was accomplished before that took it down somewhere. If that wasn't lying, pigs can fly and my pencil is about to fall UP.

Anyway, maybe what Gary Abrams says will happen, maybe it won't. I know that when I posted on their Facebook page that the letter looked like another "the dog ate my homework" statement, the post appeared to be deleted. I also got an email from somebody over at Vltor expressing the company line about understanding my frustration. I guess what this individual didn't know was that Eric Kincel approached me when this exercise was in it's infancy in late 2007 and I've been watching it closely ever since. I have a fairly good grasp of the broad strokes as far as what has transpired. There were a couple of things which did not make a lot of sense to me in Vltor's latest statement. I do not know why Spirit Gun Manufacturing would be taking pre-orders for the Bren Ten when Sporting Products was supposed to be the sole wholesale outlet from Vltor. Inquisitive minds may want to know why Vltor chose to do this (distribute thru Sporting Products) when they already had a high end wholesale distribution network for their products in place. Hint: Keep in mind that both Spirit Gun Manufacturing LLC and Sporting Products LLC were new entities created at the same time the Vltor Fortis project was launched. Further, these two companies neither built nor sold anything until well after S.H.O.T. 2010, where Vltor announced the imminent introduction of the new & "improved" Bren Ten.

Anyway, based on Vltor's track record with this project; I'll believe it when it hits the dealer's shelves. There's a old saying down south. " Don't pi** down my back and tell me it's raining". That's pretty much where I'm at with Vltor right now.

As far as ANY Witness being close to a Bren Ten; as John Wayne said "Not Hardly!".

Bruce

·
Registered
809 Posts
The CEO commented on this two days ago.

vltor.wordpress.com/

Looks like about another year until it MAY be ready.

So we will see what happens.

For my fellow forum members who really want one of these, I do hope it comes to fruition for you. My fingers will be crossed for all concerned.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
The closest thing in appearance to a Bren Ten is the Armalite AR-24 9mm. If they beefed it up, made it in stainless and sold it in either .45 or 10mm I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Despite all the waiting I'm still in for a Bren Ten no matter who makes it. Been wanting one since I lost my deposit on one in the 80s. Got to be in stainless though, I want the Miami Vice style Bren Ten!

81 - 100 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.