1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an upper which uses a Briley linkless barrel. I sent it and the frame off to Briley to have the frame milled for the barrel. I had always been curious about that type of setup and I was kind of wondering how well it would work out. I got the gun back and it works great. I also just finally figured out how to post pics so here's some showing the barrel and the frame so you can kind of see how it works.

Here's the whole thing

[This message has been edited by hhsmiley (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm not sure why those pics ended up so big. I can't really tell any difference in shooting it with this type of barrel than others I've tried. When manually manipulating the slide it does seem like the barrel stays locked up just a hair longer than on my inked barrel guns (whatever difference that makes). This is my first .38 super so I don't have any others to compare it by. I have shot a .40 that was comped and it seems pretty similar to that recoil-wise. It was reliable and very accurate when I tried it out for the first time last week.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
WoW
judging by the size of the pictures you must have huge hands!

many years ago we did some work with Tom Campbel of S&W fame. The problem with a Smith auto and a comp is they did not get along well.
In a 1911 format gun the barrel hits the frame to stop the rearward motion. In a EAA P-9 gun the barrel hit the slide stop. With major loads the slide stops bent, the frames cracked and egged out and they did not hold up well.
On the Smith frame the rearward motion is stopped by the small angle cuts on each side. the impact area is small and the angle is a leverage multiplyer (clearly spelled wrong

the smith frames peaned in on the angles until the barrel drag stopped the gun from running.
Wile I hold Claudio in very high regard along with his South African mate Leibenburg, Very high. I will want to see how this holds up, espically with the added weight of a comp on the barrel and the frame being probably 28 rc which is good as frames go.
geo ><>

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The first question that popped into my mind concerning such a cam-based barrel unlocking system is: what kind of frame materials can and can't stand up to this arrangement?

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

[This message has been edited by jpwright (edited 07-16-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts