1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found another interesting 1911, and like the Springfield (cp previous thread) I am not that interested in purchasing this 1911 yet, but I thought it would be interesting to glean the thoughts of other 1911 enthusiasts.

To be direct, I question the authenticity of the markings, as a wide range of authentic (?) markings are quite possible on M1911 used by the Brits in the WWI.
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Markings look authentic. Appears to have German proofs as well. Unfortunately it isn't in good enough condition to get much collector interest/value as looks to have had quite a bit of surface rust at one time.

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mpd1978

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you, from the (low quality) pictures it's hard to tell really, and it would take a detail strip and hands-on inspection of the gun to asset its real condition.

Rgds

colt45acp

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
It looks correct from the photos. Soooo much could actually be incorrect on further exam. I have one that I purchased (really cheap) in the late 1950s, and still have it. Mine is far from pristine, but tons better than that one.....unless the photos are really not representing the gun correctly. Be SURE that the barrel is correct for the gun, as so many were barreled to a 45ACP and then shot a lot. These 1911s don't show up for sale often, or not any that I have seen.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Is It A .455 WEBLEY?

colt45acp,

If my eyes are still working---it looks like W 25679?? (What is the serial #?)

According to Clawson, if it is in the range W 29001-W 29444, it could be a Commercial .455 Webley. If it is in the range W 29117-W 29421, it could be British military. If it is W 25679 (or W 25XXX), it is not a .455 Webley!? It would have to be W 29444 or below to have a chance at "Webley"---if it starts with a "2".? (I hope my eyes are not that bad!:))

Also, the "W" does not look like any I have inspected---too large.?

Best Regards,

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The s/n is W 25579, so if I'm not wrong according to Clawson made in 1918, and yes I agree the W looks "deeper" , and it hasn't got the BV Birmingham Inspection Mark nor the Crown mark G2A like the one pictured below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
If it has German stamps,does that mean it was captured at one point and put into service with the Wermarkt?

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it has German stamps,does that mean it was captured at one point and put into service with the Wermarkt?
I don't know, it would be hard to tell, I assume that the Germans couldn't afford to use many different calibers, that's why perhaps they didn't manufactured more 1914 Kongsberg in .45 ACP

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The s/n is W 25579, so if I'm not wrong according to Clawson made in 1918,
colt45acp,

Thank you for the serial number. (I only missed one number out of five---the eyes are still okay.:))

Most likely, Government Model 25579, was assembled the end of 1915, or possibly the beginning of 1916.? (And, most likely, shipped in the year it was made.)

CWC said he triple checked the information he put in his books, however he noted that there were/are mistakes. I checked his GM book again and Goddard's---No "W" prefix 25XXX pistols. Most likely, W 25579, will not letter.

Non-standard "Webley" markings on a non-Webley pistol.?

Best Regards,

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
colt45acp,

Thank you for the serial number. (I only missed one number out of five---the eyes are still okay.:))

Most likely, Government Model 25579, was assembled the end of 1915, or possibly the beginning of 1916.? (And, most likely, shipped in the year it was made.)

CWC said he triple checked the information he put in his books, however he noted that there were/are mistakes. I checked his GM book again and Goddard's---No "W" prefix 25XXX pistols. Most likely, W 25579, will not letter.

Non-standard "Webley" markings on a non-Webley pistol.?

Best Regards,
First of all thanks for your reply; well I don't really know what to think about this gun, the s/n to me looks suspicious; while the slide is correctly marked COLT AUTOMATIC CALIBRE 455 and on the left side of the frame of top of the pony there is the British Military Proof Mark, while the frame bears the British Broad Arrow Property Mark and the British Military Prof Mark. To me it's a bit of a mistery gun... :scratch:

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
... aaaand I think that gun would probably have a story to tell regarding what happened to her after the War, as some of them were converted to .45 ACP and when the conversion was done officially an "x" was usually placed on the last 5 in 455.
So I guess after the War it was converted into a .45 ACP then later still given a .455 Webley barrel and mag and put on the market...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
... aaaand I think that gun would probably have a story to tell regarding what happened to her after the War, as some of them were converted to .45 ACP and when the conversion was done officially an "x" was usually placed on the last 5 in 455.
So I guess after the War it was converted into a .45 ACP then later still given a .455 Webley barrel and mag and put on the market...
colt45acp,

Well, yes, a lot has happened to it. (KIM, we are looking at just pictures.) It would be nice to see a Colt letter on it. But, the next best, would be the information in the "books". Most likely it would letter as leaving Colt with a "C" prefix (a .45 ACP)---if that serial number 25579 is real.

Does it have a .455 barrel? Does the slide look like it is in better shape (metal condition) than the receiver? (Is that picture of the top of the slide and barrel chamber---the slide and barrel on the pictured receiver?) Does the magazine well look modified?

Best Regards,

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
colt45acp,

Well, yes, a lot has happened to it. (KIM, we are looking at just pictures.) It would be nice to see a Colt letter on it. But, the next best, would be the information in the "books". Most likely it would letter as leaving Colt with a "C" prefix (a .45 ACP)---if that serial number 25579 is real.

Does it have a .455 barrel? Does the slide look like it is in better shape (metal condition) than the receiver? (Is that picture of the top of the slide and barrel chamber---the slide and barrel on the pictured receiver?) Does the magazine well look modified?

Best Regards,
The pictures are awful, one of these days I'll take her some photos in real it looks a bit better I would say, but apart from that it has a .455 Webley barrel and came with two .455 Webley mags. I got at a very low price, I traded a modern 1911 that I wasn't using anymore for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts