1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone had any experience with these? are they accurate and reliable? my recollection is that the enfield .303 did have a reputation for accuracy. it has been put into a "poly" stock. one of the guys at my range has it for sale. thanks for any info. mcole

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Although the Brits did convert some Enfields to 7.62X51, they are not common. I would suspect that what is being offered is based on the Indian-built Ishapore Enfield. These were built in the 1960's and were chambered for 7.62x51 (.308) from the outset. They were a temporary measure while the Ishapore arsenal figured out how to make FAL's.

They seem to work fine.

Rosco

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
It's almost certainly an ishy that's been dressed up.

The brits found that the enfield will not handle .308 pressures but the Indians used better steel. Gibbs is offering at least a couple of variations of this rifle for reasonable prices.

If it's a guy at the range, then I'd get him to let me shoot it. My eyes don't like enfield sights except for the peep sights on the #4s, so I don't shoot them very well. I did manage a 1.5" 10 shot group at 100 yards using a 150 grain FP cast bullet which was due to apparently swearing quite a bit beforehand at earlier groups. 3" groups should be easy if the bore looks OK, but if you're lucky, the accuracy could be much better.

So far I've only played with cast bullets in my ishapores at 50 yards for the most part, but these are the cast bullet groups for a standard ishy and one of Navy Arms #7 conversions at 50 yards. At the time I only played with 2 different bullets:

#7 carbine: 154 FP = 0.75"

#7 carbine: 180 RN = 1.875"

Standard Ishapore: 154 FP = 1.125"

Standard Ishapore: 180 RN = 1.125"

How much is the guy wanting for this rifle?

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have one of the Ishy's sporterized with a choat stock and the BSA Catseye scope. I removed the iron sights and welded up the holes in the barrel. Makes a nice looking gun. Would post a photo if I knew how. But I have really enjoyed mine. I did all the work with the exception of the bluing. One problem to look for on all the .308 rifles, is the extractor. A lot of them are either mixed up eith .303 oe worn out. If you get an Ishy, go ahead an order a new extractor from Numrich. It will take away many headaches you will have. Send me your E-mail and I can send you some photos.
[email protected]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info. i'm going to look into this gun. i know a lot more about handguns than rifles. the rifle is scoped. think i will have one of my "rifled" friends shoot it and see what he thinks. it now has a magazine feed rather than the stripper clip thru the breech (because of the scope). wants $200 for it. mcole

[This message has been edited by mcole (edited 10-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mcole (edited 10-09-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts