1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title indicates my Rossi .357 snub-nose's firing pin broke. As such and due to apparent negative experiences with Rossi's customer, I wish to have the firing pin replaced by a gunsmith I am familiar with. Honestly, I am planning on having the gun fixed and immediately (after a function test) selling the gun at whatever price I can.

What firing pin should I order? For obvious reasons I do not want to order another Rossi-made firing pin, will a S&W firing pin work within a Rossi?

Has anyone else made this modification to their Rossi snub-nose?

Thank you ahead of time for your responses,

·
Registered
718 Posts
You'll probably end up having to go through Rossi/Taurus. I had the same gun about four years ago and hand multiple issues that remained unrepaired after sending it in. Unfortunately the parts were not interchangeable with S&W or anything else (my issue was the set screw that holds the cylinder yolk in place & a bent -- from the factory -- cylinder yolk.

After expensive re-shipping and 10 weeks later I finally got it back & immediately took it to Gander Mountain with all the repair paperwork and sold it outright.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, do you know whether I could purchase a replacement firing pin and have my smith install it himself? Would you advise against this?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Having a 'smith do the work will likely cost more than it's worth. Just see if Taurus will fix it under warranty. You could check Midwayusa or Brownells for a replacement though.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Unless you just love the gun otherwise, a smith will cost more than it's worth. It's highly likely you'll have other problems in the future. It is a cheap gun that most owners don't shoot more than 100 rounds through before storing it bedside, just in case. The Rossi is no more reliable than the usual Saturday night specials like Jennings, Davis or Sedco.

My 2¢.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
would having a smith replace the pin reduce the value? Kicking myself for purchasing this gun...

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
The Rossi is no more reliable than the usual Saturday night specials like Jennings, Davis or Sedco.
I have a Rossi Model 851 that I literally have put 100's of rounds through. :scratch:

Granted, it's not a Smith, but I wouldn't put it in the Jennings category. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't fire ANY hammer mounted firing pin firearm without a snap cap in place though. :eek:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I did just take delivery of a flawless Interarms Rossi 851 4" yesterday afternoon and did actually dry fire maybe twice, checking the trigger action. Guess I won't do that again, but this gun looks significantly more substantial than new Rossi/Taurus era store guns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts