1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What follows is a review of the Mag/Flash pouch (single stack .45 mag and flashlight) I ordered from Gary Brommeland.

When I decided to look for a single magazine/tactical flashlight pouch vs. the double mag pouch I had been carrying I, of course, came here and did some surfing, lurking and researching. While most everyone offers single mag, double mag and standalone flashlight pouches very few offer a nice leather mag/flash combo.

I narrowed it down to the DelFatti and the Brommeland. I liked the look of the DelFatti pouch a tad more but at the time of the order, back in August, he was just getting to his January orders. Conversly, Brommeland quoted turn around time of 3 to 4 weeks. Price was basically the same so I went with Brommeland.

The pouch arrived yesterday and I eagerly opened the box. This is what I found:

Please note: The pictures below are after a day of wearing the pouch. I do mean to imply by the above statement that the pouch arrived scuffed but rather were flawless out of the box.

The workmanship was obviously excellent. Stitching is even and secure, molding perfect and dye spot on with the Milt Sparks VMII and belt in color. The pouch is very wide. This is a good news/bad news thing. Good as it adds stability when used with a quality belt and also good as there is needed space between the magazine and flashlight to ensure quick, accurate gripping of each individual item. The bad news, as I was afraid of when I first saw it, was that it takes up so much space that I am no long able to wear my knife sheath.

At first I tried to wear the mag/flash pouch back around 4 to 5 o'clock (I'm a lefty) which did allow for the wearing of the knife sheath but having the pouch way back there caused two problems: Discomfort when sitting in hard or firm back chairs (although it was not uncomfortable driving) and worse, can be seen when my sweatshirt rides up when sitting or bending over. I removed the knife sheath and moved the pouch over to 3 - 4 o'clock and the comfort level returned and it was much less noticable. The knife is a swiss army, the large one, but still fits relatively comfortable in my pocket so in there it goes.

Turning the pouch over shows the same attention to detail and quality leather work as the front.

Gary chose to put a center belt loop for, I'm guessing, added stability which seems to be able to be removed by removing two brass screws. Due to the width of the overall pouch it's almost assured that a belt loop from the pants would go between the two belt slots and therefore the loop on the back seems like it's not needed but it's a nice touch. Here's another, more angled shot showing the loop:

Threading the belt, a stiff Milt Sparks 1.5", though the pouch belt slots, pants belt loops and pouch back loop proved challenging as everything is new and stiff and pretty close together. Also getting just the right spacing was a trial and error endeavor. Once on the pouch is very secure and hugs the waist tight. By comparison, the Milt Sparks double mag pouch I have is much more comfortable but not nearly as stable. The thin snap loop design of the Sparks rig allows the mags to 'flop outward' more although by no means horribly so. The Brommeland pouch by comparison is just very, very tight.

Also with the Brommeland unit, due to the belt slot vs. belt loops design there is a little bit added to the waist size and the comfort is not as good as the Sparks due to the thicker leather parts that lie inside the belt pressed against your waist. It's a trade off.

The mag, a Chip McComick Powermag and the flashlight, a Surefire E2e fit snugly into the pouch. The flashlight is a pain to get out due mostly to the knurled surface of the light's case which bites into the leather as opposed to the smooth surface of the mag. I'm sure with time it will breakin nicely as will the pouch as a whole. Both mag and light are at a slightly forward cant which I also prefer.

One thing I really like about Gary's design is that it allows the flashlight to be dialed in to work with a press of the button when pulled. The bottom of the flashlight 'well' is stiff enough and deep enough that it can rest in the pouch without the button being accidently pushed saving batteries and the embarrassment of someone pointing out your flashlight is on. This might wear off over time as the pouch gets more broken in but I don't think it will.

Here's a shot of the pouch with mag and light:

All in all I'm very satisfied with the purchase. Gary did an excellent job and his design, while maybe not for everyone, definately has a target audience. If you're looking for extreme comfort and a lot of different position options then you might be better served buying individual pouches. If you are looking for a rock solid rig with great quality and attention to detail then give Brommeland a look.

Here's a final pic of the whole rig:

Methos

·
Premium Member
20,301 Posts
Very nice review! All the Brommeland products I've seen are top notch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Snap Option?

Great Review - thanks for sharing.

Did the combination have the option of using snaps like your Holster or was slide the only option? Seems to me snap loops would make it easier to put on and position?

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Excellent review,thanks for taking the time to write it up.

I'm waiting for a Def Con holster,belt and dbl. mag pouch from Gary,I'm looking forward to receiving it.

·
Banned
399 Posts
Thanks for the review, Methos. However, the finish on that pouch was flawless when it left here. If it came out of the box all scuffed up, let me know so I can file a damage claim with the Post Office. Thanks!

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gary,

No problem on the review. The pouch was not scuffed when I received it and I didn't mean to imply it was but upon re-reading my post I can see where you might get that impression so I edited the original post to add a clarification.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts