1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read some comments on The Firing Line implying that bronze bore brushes were less than desirable. So far, I've never noticed any damage from bronze brushes... Have any of you guys had any cons or pros of bronze bore brushes vs. nylon or anything else for that matter? I'm open minded to other's experiences.

·
Registered
159 Posts
IMHO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with bronze bore brushes and I would doubt that anyone could find a barrel manufacturer that would warn against their use.

Bronze, being a softer metal than any barrel material currently in use, will wear much quicker than any other brush material except, perhaps, the nylon type. They will, also, be eroded to a degree by some powder/copper solvents used on them.

OTOH, I am not a metalurgist and will gladly defer to one who has a different view.

------------------
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
Humphrey Bogart
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Bronze is fine for barrels as Cathbad said, because it is softer than the metal in the barrel. Don't use them on the outside of the weapon though, as they will scratch the finish, particularly on a parkerized finish.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The reason I threw away all my bronze brushes is that they shed the metalwires into the gun as you use them. Also, they wear out quickly if you use them to scrub out a cylinder). Most bore cleaners have chemicals to attack copper and so they eat a bronze brush. Nylon are much more durable and can't scratch anything.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Mr Colt: just for information I would propose that nylon brushes easily clean FILTHY guns with the right cleaning agent (which is automotive chrome polish). Dip the tip of the brush in it and brush for about 10 seconds and thne swab out. I 100% clean my guns after every use and threw away all bronze tools a long time ago. Chrome polish "eats" the black burns off the frame and breech and the cylinder face. It also takes out the glaze burn ring in the cylinder tubes. Nobody believes me, but it's true. You don't need any metal tools to clean a handgun back to new condition... just chrome polish, a nylon bore brush, and a nylon toothbrush.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mr. BH,
Although it seems as if your method works well enough for you (and I have used Soft Scrub on some terribly fouled rifles as a last ditch effort) a bronze brush or nylon one dipped in a mild abrasive seems to equal the same thing to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts