1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie question. How are you supposed to use the brush. I have the phosphor bronze brush, and I'm really not sure how to use it. Do you wrap a cloth around it before or do you run it in by itself. Sorry for the idiot question, but I really don't know.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Naked brush through the bore. Slop on the solvent and run it through.

I have used a bore brush with a patch around it but the patches get stuck in and on the brush.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
26 Posts
One important thing about using a bore brush is DO NOT dip it into your cleaning solvent bottle! Doing this only contaminates the unused portion. I long ago obtained plastic bottles with a dispensor spout and transferred the solvent to it. Another option is to use an eye dropper to put the solvent on the brush.

I also know many shooters that refuse to pull the brush back through the bore after the first pass. They unscrew the brush and pull the rod out and then flush the brush before putting it back on. They belive that there is no reason to drag the abrasive fouling back and forth through the bore; that it will do more damage than anything else. For the same reason they will not use a patch twice. Takes more time to clean the barrel but they belive its worth it.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
wow...I thought I was particular...That's dedication...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by gyp_c:
wow...I thought I was particular...That's dedication...

Yeah, I'm obsessive/compulsive, but even I'M not that bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Notice I said that I know shooters - I did not say that I was one of them!
Almost all of them are benchrest shooters and they seem to try to take care of thier barrels. From what I'd guess, they reason that a bullet pushes the fouling out in one direction only creating a consistant wear pattern while strocking a brush back and forth sets up all kinds of uncontrolable variations.

I'm personally one of those that doesn't use a bore brush prefering to use a high quality cleaner like Shooters Choice or Sweet's 7.62 to remove what fouling I get. I put the liquid on a patch and push it through the bore once. Do that 2 or 3 times and let it sit while I work on the rest of the gun. Come back 20 minutes later and dry patch it. Rifle, pistol, shotgun, doesn't make a difference: let the cleaner do the work, not me!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hey if you just get yourself a BoreSnake all your problems with barrel cleaning are over. They are fantastic. You can apply solvent to them scrub the bore out and it also does the work of the patches. Plus its machine washable just make sure your wife isn't around when you decide to clean it. And for those guys who only make a single pass through the bore, this is the tool for you. Cost is around 15 bucks. I have one for all my guns (pistols, rifles and shotguns) and have yet to wear one out.
Ok, I am done with my salespitch for today.
John

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts