1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home a New to me WWII GI MilSpec in stainless steel. Mine was used with some nice wood but no box or goodies,

I wanted a pistol like my old issue pistol back during my Army days in the 70's. Has a parked version for awhile but let it slip away. Several of the original SA MilSpecs in parkerized finish live with me as well. I just can not seem to live to well without a 1911 in the house.

I went in to buy a NIB GI gun and was talked in to the stainless version. The Florida weather and stainless seem to be made for each other and I do not plan to shoot her much. More of a memory lane type of pistol. The price for the used gun was very sweet so I can live without the authentic GI finish.

Plan to run some ball ammo through her tomorrow and make sure she works. Happy to be back in the land of 1911's. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
155 rounds of factory ball ammo and I had several problems through out the morning. 1 ten round Chip McCormick magazine, 3 eight round Chip McCormick magazines, 1 factory stainless 7 rounder and 2 30+ year old army surplus 7 rounders were the feed boxes for the day. The fancy mags had the occasional lock back before empty, several jams on the last round, one of which required tools to get out, and several failures to feed completely.

The GI mags and the factory 7 rounder seemed to be 100% when used. Makes me think ole' John Moses knew what he was doing when he put 7 round magazines in this design.

I am a little dissapointed in this gun right now and am reconsidering if I will keep it after all. I know I can "tune it up" but the idea was to have a simple, reliable ball gun WITHOUT spending more money on it except for ammo. Depressing. :(

·
Registered
283 Posts
Good luck with her from a fellow Central Floridian. I know the feeling of being disappointed in a 1911 cause ive had my fair share of issues too. im not giving up though, my Springer is headed back to the factory after the holidays.

·
Registered
539 Posts
If all the problems were with aftermarket mags, why are you thinking of returning the gun??

Sounds to me like Chip's quality control needs improvement.

I've got something like 9 factory SA magazines, not a single malfunction was because of them, it was all ammo. Of course that's a Micro, but those are supposdely even more finicky.

For the cost (loaded coupon, yay!) two 7 rounders will beat a 10 rounder any day of the week. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Don't be dissapointed. I have a Champion that had the same problems with the Chip McCormick mags, and it has never had a problem with the factory 7 rounders. They do not contain the last round and allow it to bounce free. The followers straight stink in the way they work in my gun anyway. Some people swear by them. I swear at them. I replaced all of my Chip McCormicks with Tripp springs and followers. Will shoot them this weekend hopefully to see if reliability is the same as with the factory mags.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yep, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. You might want to try a different after market mag. Looks like the factory and old mags are working fine. Seems to me like there is a problem with the new mags not the Springfield.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the Chip McMormick magazines back for credit. I have 150 rounds of factory ball left and a good cleaning, lube job and another day on the range will make up my mind.

My last two SA Milspecs (not GI models) worked better with the CM mags and I had problems with the Wilson 47D's. I guess it is just fickle and I do not like fickle in a handgun.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I bet its the mags especially since the OEM one was flawless

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I went back to the range today with the Springer and fired 100 rounds of factory 230 ball. One failure to eject causing a failure to feed and necessitating pulling the magazine to clear the pistol. This was from one of the GI magazines. The next to last round did not eject and the slide closed on it while it was still in the extractor. Not a stovepipe.

I will go back one more time and put another 100 rounds down range with the last two magazines. If one more failure then this puppy is on the block. I have been spoiled with my issue and personal Berettas as well as my GLOCKS. One in a hundred malfunction rate it "WAY TO MANY" for me.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Dang that is dissapointing.

I just got my first springer and it has been great. I've used several different loads (a few my reloads) and various mags.

perfect functioning.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I went back to the range and tried to fire off the last 100 rounds (230 grain FMJ factory ball) I had on hand. Three malfunctions with the factory magazines in the first 50 rounds decided the issue. I have no desire to spend lots of money on a pistol that should work out of the box with ball ammo. I traded it off yesterday for a Beretta 92FS.

I am going with a new GLOCK 21SF as my only .45 in the house right now. In time I will track down a US surplus gun for my walk down memory lane and to keep a 1911 in the family. A surplus pistol will better fit my needs and wants in a 1911 platform at this point since I have NO desire to use a current model in any gun games.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts