1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my SS Compact II today. I stopped by the house for a quick look see inside as well as a quick cleaning and lube job.
Then It was on to the range.

Accuracy was decent.

Trigger is crisp and a little heavy, for now.

I started getting 1-2 FTE's per mag after ~50 rounds or so.

*I did notice when manually removing the spent case from the chamber, they were all fairly tight. They also seem to have erratic or uneven chamber scuffs on them. It is entirely possible that I failed to scrub the chamber adequately enough before I headed to the range.

I was also a little surprised by the stiffness of the recoil.

*Much more than my 5'' and a 18lb spring and somewhat heavier than my Officer's model with it's 24 lb spring.

I think this is a very nice little pistola. I am anxious to get the bugs worked out and have it broken it.

Now if you'll permit me, I'll run an idea by the masters and more experienced than myself.

Do ya'll think that a tight and maybe dirty chamber along with a too light recoil spring could be behind alot if not all the reported FTE's.
I am certainly no pistolsmith but have had ocassion to remedy a few FTF and FTE problems with a step up in recoil spring weight and or a chamber polish job.

I'll try to post the results of my efforts as they come along.

Now it time for my silly question of the day:
What is the correct length for the recoil spring??

·
Registered
86 Posts
SS Compact

Spring length, is the pistol new or used? My recoil spring 22 pound got about 1/2" to 3/4" shorter after 1000 rounds recomened replacemnet is 800. I posted a picture of the new and used recoil springs here

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/sho...738&highlight=compact+stainless+recoil+spring

I had a few FTE & FTRB's in the first 300 or so rounds after that it will and has fed nearly everything 100%

Everybody who buys one of these loves it. Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OldSchool

Thanks for the input.

When I said length, I meant is the replacement spring a "commander" or " Officer's" length ...or is it a proprietary
Kimber part.

I know what you mean about a recoil spring getting shorter over time.

I'll check out the link........

I have always liked the Officer's length frame and thought a ~commander sized slide amd barrel would be near perfect.

Time will tell.....
Thanks
' Mule

·
Registered
445 Posts
Do yourself a favor.............

and get yourself a Wilson Combat mag for it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The Compact uses an Officers model length spring.

I agree that the Commander slide and Officers frame makes a great gun.

Is it a new gun? The recoil springs in these wear out quickly, even a lightly used gun could have worn out recoil spring. In fact, mine had the wrong spring in it when I got it (used).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Recoil Springs

When I replaced my recoil spring, I got it from Kimber in a set(recoil, main & firing pin springs for about $12) but Kimber has a $50 minimum or they charge you $5 extra.

Next time I'm going to just order from wolff springs

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/KimberNF.html#Kimber4

They tell yoou which springs fit which models etc, and you can get calibration packs if you want to test a heavier or lighter spring.

·
Registered
231 Posts
ammo?

Reading the post, the question that kept recurring to me was what ammo were you using? Some problems such as this may be related to the rounds themselves. Just curious if that might have been a factor? Just a thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts