1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally use Brownells for my purchases. Right now I am looking for a trigger pull gauge and really like the Lyman digital. Brownells has it for $62.50 while Midway is $44.99? Normally products are within a a few percent of each other on price, but why such a huge parity on this one? Has anyone else noticed this on any other products? Is it just volume buying or what?

·
Super Moderator
13,559 Posts
The Brownells price you showed is the non-discount price. Their discount price is close to Midway's. You have to ask Brownells if your account qualify for the discount prices.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
I personally prefer Midway since their website is more user friendly, IMO their selection is better and I don't have to wonder what the "real" price is...

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
If you know how to click a mouse, you can "qualify" for the Brownell's discount, without asking anybody anything. :)

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I don't see it as a versus issue at all.

With the sole exception of the fight about catalog shapes - which should have been avoided somehow -I don't see it as a versus issue at all. I'm happy to deal with each of them.

It's hardly shocking that Brownell's services small dealer sales and Midway doesn't so much but if in doubt be a cruffler - curio and relic license - and enjoy the best of all possible worlds.

I don't gripe when I see Sportsman's Warehouse buy Midway made products for resale cheaper then Midway sells them to me either.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Yeah, if you sign in the price will be cheaper. I deal with both companies and am happy with both. Brownells ships faster though...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Yeah I think you are missing something, but I don't know what because I see the electronic Lyman trigger pull gauge for $46.88 at Brownells. :scratch:

For $2 I'd go with Brownells, but for a huge price difference I'd go with Midway...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Sign in to Brownells.
Click “My Account”
Click “Customer Profile”
You will see a dropdown box with the question “Please select the option which best describes you.”
Click on something like “Gunsmith or Gunshop”
Click the update button.
Viola! Instant discount.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
my wish lists on BOTH sites exceed $2,000......:)

·
Registered
541 Posts
You must have a small list :D I can't even make a dent in my list with $2000.00.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
I was under the impression that one had to have an FFL to get the discount. As for the Lyman gauge, it seems as though Midway has the same price dealer or retail. It's a couple of bucks more at Brownells (discount/dealer price).

As for the Brownells v. Midway issue, there really isn't one. I use Brownells more, mostly because they were the one I found first. Both have excellent prices/products/service.

Robert

·
Registered
68 Posts
For me, there is no choice. Midwayusa has a horribly privacy policy and actually tells you they are going to share (read "sell") your personal information, including your postal address. Here is a quote right from the Midwayusa website privacy policy:

We occasionally exchange our customer postal address list with other reputable companies, however, you may opt-out or otherwise prohibit such uses by checking the "Do not share my information" box on the Your Account page (don't forget to save the change) or by calling Customer Service at 1-800-243-3220. You may also send a note, requesting that your postal address not be shared, along with your name and address. For contact information, please view the Contact Us page.

Opt-out is great.. if you are given the choice the moment you are making an account. But you are not given that choice. Therefore, the moment you create an account or submit an order, your personal information is instantly "exchanged". You can later, go back into your account and "opt-out" so your information won't be shared in the future, but it doesn't help. Even if you submit an order, or create an account, and 10 seconds later click in your account and "opt-out", they still legally had 10 seconds to be able to share your personal information. And once they share your information once, it doesn't matter if you opt-out of future exchanges of information, because your personal information has already become part of the "big list". Big money is made by Midwayusa just for "selling" customers personal information.

In this day and age, this type of privacy policy is unacceptable for a reputable company, which leaves me with only one thought, that Midwayusa is NOT a reputable company, therefore will never get a penny of my business.

Read Brownells privacy policy. No suprises, they have a very secure cut and dry privacy policy. Here it is quoted right from the brownells.com website:

4. We Do Not Share Your Information
We do not share your information with anyone outside Brownells unless it is a request that is in the interest of the law or certified government agencies (e.g. subpoena or legal reasons). We share your information internally at Brownells for the sole purpose of processing your order.

Don't believe me? Do a little google search on the way online companies sell customers personal information, and how they word their privacy policies to "trick" you into thinking they don't.

Just the fact that companies like Midwayusa are still in business is testament to how many people don't read or don't know about a companies privacy policy.

·
Banned
315 Posts
DrDanke said:
For me, there is no choice. Midwayusa has a horribly privacy policy and actually tells you they are going to share (read "sell") your personal information, including your postal address. Here is a quote right from the Midwayusa website privacy policy:

We occasionally exchange our customer postal address list with other reputable companies, however, you may opt-out or otherwise prohibit such uses by checking the "Do not share my information" box on the Your Account page (don't forget to save the change) or by calling Customer Service at 1-800-243-3220. You may also send a note, requesting that your postal address not be shared, along with your name and address. For contact information, please view the Contact Us page.

Opt-out is great.. if you are given the choice the moment you are making an account. But you are not given that choice. Therefore, the moment you create an account or submit an order, your personal information is instantly "exchanged". You can later, go back into your account and "opt-out" so your information won't be shared in the future, but it doesn't help. Even if you submit an order, or create an account, and 10 seconds later click in your account and "opt-out", they still legally had 10 seconds to be able to share your personal information. And once they share your information once, it doesn't matter if you opt-out of future exchanges of information, because your personal information has already become part of the "big list". Big money is made by Midwayusa just for "selling" customers personal information.

In this day and age, this type of privacy policy is unacceptable for a reputable company, which leaves me with only one thought, that Midwayusa is NOT a reputable company, therefore will never get a penny of my business.

Read Brownells privacy policy. No suprises, they have a very secure cut and dry privacy policy. Here it is quoted right from the brownells.com website:

4. We Do Not Share Your Information
We do not share your information with anyone outside Brownells unless it is a request that is in the interest of the law or certified government agencies (e.g. subpoena or legal reasons). We share your information internally at Brownells for the sole purpose of processing your order.

Don't believe me? Do a little google search on the way online companies sell customers personal information, and how they word their privacy policies to "trick" you into thinking they don't.

Just the fact that companies like Midwayusa are still in business is testament to how many people don't read or don't know about a companies privacy policy.
I've only been to Midway's site a few times, never ordered anything. Glad I didn't. Thanks for the heads up. I won't be shopping there.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
5pins said:
Sign in to Brownells.
Click “My Account”
Click “Customer Profile”
You will see a dropdown box with the question “Please select the option which best describes you.”
Click on something like “Gunsmith or Gunshop”
Click the update button.
Viola! Instant discount.
Are you advocating lying, or do you own a gunshop?

·
Registered
757 Posts
It says “Please select the option which best describes you", not are you a professional gunsmith with a shop. I consider myself an amature gunsmith in trainning, especially for 20% off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts