1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
My guess is that it would work fine. But it is going to be harder on the gun than a lot of US commercial stuff and will be taking life off the other end of its useful life. I guess it is up to you as to how you might feel about that.. A gun is like any other machine. Used gently, they last a long time. Used harder, they last less time.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Welcome to the forum Max.

I had a case of that NATO 9 MM and tried some in my HK P7 and it caused the striker to be frozen back and lock up the gun. I had to get a whole new striker assembly.

I stored the ammo away until a friend told how his full auto Uzi needed hot ammo to run flawless. Boy did I have a fun time burning up that ammo.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
I understand that ammo marked as 9x19 NATO is loaded to a higher pressure than ammo marked 9 mm Luger.

Would 9x19 NATO be OK to use in older (pre Mk III) Hi Power pistols?
My 1982 BHP had the locking cam break a few years ago. Cylinder and Slide charged $459.24 to repair it. I probably ran too many +P and NATO rounds in it.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
9mm NATO pressure runs somewhere between SAAMI 'standard' and +P. Word is Euro-spec WWII 9mm was also somewhat hotter than US standard, which was held low due to the large numbers of sub-standard surplus pistols on the market way back then.

9mm standard, 35,000psi
9mm NATO, 36,5000psi
9mm +P , 38,500psi

9mm NATO vs. 9mm Luger - Gun Nuts Media

The British ran 9mm NATO ammo thru their HP's. Probably why they're switching to Glocks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A few data points:

1. The BHP was designed for European 9mm Parabellum ammunition as loaded in the 1930s. The only lab test of samples of that period's ammunition that I have in my small library shows German loads from 1918 and 1941 doing 1200 and slightly higher from a P-38 (123 and 124 gr. bullets). Western and Remington loads from WW2 contracts were not far behind.

2. I believe the British ammunition that beat up their BHPs was a lot hotter and was really intended for sub-machine guns.

3. The late Stephen A. Camp's articles like the one above linked by ruhroh are a very good source of accurate no-B.S. information.

4. The most common NATO ammo that you see in U.S. stores is Winchester NATO. Tests I've seen posted over the last few years show it's just barely hotter than regular fodder and slower than that German stuff I mentioned above. Although pressure and velocity are too different things, it's not the pressure that wears out a High Power, it's excessive slide velocity.

If your BHP is older, check your recoil spring length and replace if in doubt. Because the BHP is svelte in the slide area it relies on a heavier spring. I wouldn't run tons of 9mm NATO, because I'd like my old High Power to outlive me. I don't worry about some use of it. That Winchester NATO is probably the closest thing to the load that the gun was designed for.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
When I used the hot stuff years ago I used a 22 lbs. recoil spring.

• Helpful
Reactions: Che and Kosh75287

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am firmly of the belief that the P-35 is a weaker design than the 1911 - even before the 1911s had heat treated slides. That said they tend to work pretty well and I have fired Winchester +P+ trough a couple of mine with no apparent damage - that doesn't mean it will always work. My most used older ones do have some battering on top of the rails - I think that is one reason Bill L. likes the cast frames - they don't tend to get peened as much.

I knew Steve, great guy and I miss him terribly!

Oh, I should mention, I have a P-35 with an extra barrel in .356 TSW - the Cor-bon factory load (now out of print) pushes a 125 Gold Dot to 1500 fps - no I would not recommend that to anyone but I have a few Brownings ;) I do prefer the Federal 135 H-S in .356, it goes 1270 and seems a lot easier on the gun. It is a later cast frame Mk-III.

I also built one of the first Brownings in .41 AE, in fact I used the prototype barrel Bob Shutz of Olympinc Arms sold me. That round moved the slide so fast you could barely see it move! Tom Givens wrote it up for Combat Handguns as "A Higher Power"...I think that was mid 80s sometime.

Riposte

·
Registered
769 Posts
I also built one of the first Brownings in .41 AE, in fact I used the prototype barrel Bob Shutz of Olympinc Arms sold me. That round moved the slide so fast you could barely see it move! Tom Givens wrote it up for Combat Handguns as "A Higher Power"...I think that was mid 80s sometime. Riposte
I also converted a BHP to .41AE but could never get it to function reliably. Finally gave up and put it back to 9mm. I still have the conversion kit by Action Arms; barrel, recoil spring and two mags.

Additionally I have a 1911 conversion with barrel, recoil spring and one magazine. I shot it yesterday in a Rock Island 9mm frame/slide. It functioned fine with 180 grain Speer HP bullets but not so great with 170 grain Hornady soft-nose HP bullets. Speer no longer makes the 180 grain bullets which is a shame. Probably won't shoot it much and go back to the 9mm. Bullets for 41 caliber are just too expensive.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Back around the early '90s, a few friends and I gathered for some holiday at one of their place out in the sticks, and of course we brought some pistols. The host, another C&R nut who already had a nice collection of military 9s, had just bought a FEG Tokagypt , a genuine but rough Beretta 51, and an early Helwan, and a whole bunch of really cheap Egyptian surplus 9mm ammo from SOG - Southern Ohio Guns. I brought my CZ-75, 1941 Black Widow and my Nazi-occupation HP. The other guys had various modern Sigs, Glocks, Beretta and Taurus 92's. That ammo was in 25-30-?? round boxes with ''squiggle'' writing all over. None of the modern wonder-nines would even light that stuff off. Neither would my Luger and the CZ-75 was running about 50%. Probably a good thing. That ammo was HOT. But my wartime HP had no problems. Until I noticed the lower half of the FP retaining plate was GONE! Fortunately, I found a replacement that was rough enough to look like the original. Probably was a wartime piece. I still shoot that old HP with it's replacement FP plate. But it's got a fresh +2lb recoil spring and I stick to 9mm factory or NATO spec.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts