1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a "new to me" 1994 manufacture BHP. Yesterday was the 1st trip to the range. I had multiple light hits on primers. I thought it may have been the ammo but, then it did it with three other brands also. Not every round but, enough that I won't carry the pistol. I pulled the firing pin and the channel was fairly clean. Anybody have any idea on what may be causing this? When decocked the hammer does not sit all the way into the slide. It will move about 1/16" further in if I push it but, won't stay there. Since this is my 1st BHP I don't know if this is normal. I posted this in the BHP section but no answers as of yet. Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
13,300 Posts
Without inspection , I can only say from your detailed observations that the main spring [hammer spring] is weakened or also a possibility that the previous owner shortened the spring trying to make it easier to cock . With a full power main spring , some with weak hands have great difficulty in cocking the hammer .

Recommend you replace all springs and try again .

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I would guess that Guy may be correct. The firing pin spring on the HP is pretty strong, and the fact that the hammer doesn't lay all the way down on the firing pin stop leads me to believe that the mainspring has been lightened enough that the firing pin spring can hold it back!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sounds like the mainspring is broken or has been shortened. My HP's hammer rests on the firing pin stop, and is still under some spring tension at this point.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I'll be ordering a new main spring and attempting an install. Brownells sells the spring, hammer bar and pins as a package. Would it be better to replace all of these or just the spring? One last question, is the C&S commander style hammer a drop in piece? Thanks again.

·
Registered
507 Posts
lt7d101 said:
One last question, is the C&S commander style hammer a drop in piece?
Unfortunately, it's not from what I understand. Additionally, be advised that if you install a new C&S hammer, a new C&S sear is also recommended.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered a spring set through Brownells over the weekend. I hope to have it later this week. Using Stephen Camp's disassembly guide I hope to be able to effect the repair. Wish me luck. :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ITS FIXED!

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your expert advice. The hammer spring had infact been cut down, about in half I'd estimate. Using Mr. Camp's outstanding disassembly guide I was able to replace the hammer spring. I function tested and she fired off a mag like a champ. Now to the range tomorrow for some serious shooting :D Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New hammer spring

I really did not put many rounds through it before the spring change. Whoever owned it before me cut down the hammer spring WAY too much. The spring kit I ordered came with the 32# and a 28# spring. After checking the Wolff site for what the variances in spring weights were, I opted to install the reduced power, 28# spring. I only function tested it with one mag, but the trigger pull seemed smooth and not real heavy. I'm going to give her a good work out tomorrow. For now I've left the mag safety intact. I've polished it and the mags where it slides on them.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No more light primer strikes

Put 250 rds through the pistol yesterday. No function problems. Primer strikes were all solid. Only problem I encountered was the rear sight elevation screw kept coming loose. I'll either locktite it or replace the sight.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Adjustable rear sight

Greetings Mr. Camp, actually its a Millet. It appears to be identical to the sight sold by Brownell's with .375 dovetail. The screw is popping out of the sight. The screw threads appear ok so I'm assuming its the threads in the sight itself that are the problem. I'm going to put some blue thread locker on it and see what happens. Worst case scenario is I have to replace it. Brownell's sells the front and rear for under $50. I'll get the white outlines as the sight picture disappeared against a silouette target at the indoor range I shoot at in the winter.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The thread locker didn't work. I just racked the slide and upon release the screw popped up. :( Ordered a new sight from Brownell's a few minutes ago. Hopefully I'll have it before the weekend.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New Millet sight installed...

Took her to the range today and sighted her in with new rear sight. Range Report = :D :D :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts