1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ON the Sigforum I've posted recently about the P938 issues I've had and decided to get rid of it for a P30SK.
When applying for the required permit I applied for 2 permits in case I found something else I wanted so I could purchase it right away.
Something like a Browning Hi Power.
Problem was I have never seen one at a dealer in my area let alone at any gun shop I've visited. I haven't visited many but been to more than a few.
Always had a thing for them since it was the first pistol I ever shot.
Well I go to a big shop about an hour from me and bring the P938 to see what they will give me for it.
They said $350 for the SIG and they had a P30SK.
Before I could fondle the SK I see 2 Browning Hi Powers in the case so I look at them and assumed they were used.
Both were brand new! I was so shocked I forgot to check out the P30SK but the wife and kids were in the car anyway so I was pressed for time.
As soon as the permits go through I will most likely be purchasing one of them but wanted advice from people in the know about Brownings.
What should I be looking for in purchasing one?
The P30SK is a definite. I can buy a Hi Power from Gunbroker or another on line dealer if the brandy new ones are not recommended for some reason or another.
They had the epoxy finish/fixed sites or blued with adj sites. Which one to get!?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Fixed sights for a carry pistol.

BTW, $350 for a P938 is robbery.

Hopefully some day you'll be able to move to America and not have the hassle of asking permission from the Government before you can exercise your rights.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, $350 for a P938 is robbery.
Won't be carrying the Browning as I live in NJ and it is VERY difficult to get a CCW if you're a regular citizen. I know a business owner that has one but his dad is a lawyer who owns the company so I'm sure they have an "in" so to speak.
The price on the P938 is probably the same one I'll get at the other 3 shops I'm going to bring it to. These guys tend to lowball severely but I have sold on Gunbroker and could potentially get more there but the convenience of getting it at a shop makes things a little easier.
The shop I bought the P938 at gave me a reasonable price on a Sig P250 in 9mm and 40 cal so maybe he'll do the same on the P938 in exchange for store credit towards the P30SK.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Any factory installed, adjustable sights will be less than ideal.
Stick with the fixed sight, Mk lll for a new BHP.
The fixed sight guns, if you can't live with Brownings fixed sight, will be easier to mill a dovetail for Novaks/10-8's or whatever.
The factory adjustable sight guns have dovetails which are not compatible with any currently popular, retrofit sights.
The pistols you looked at, if in fact new, will be cast frame guns- which is not a deal breaker.
The BHP/P-35 is a very good carry gun in my opinion.
I currently have four I use for that purpose that have been extensively modified to my preference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any factory installed, adjustable sights will be less than ideal.
Stick with the fixed sight, Mk lll for a new BHP.
The fixed sight guns, if you can't live with Brownings fixed sight, will be easier to mill a dovetail for Novaks/10-8's or whatever.
The factory adjustable sight guns have dovetails which are not compatible with any currently popular, retrofit sights.
The pistols you looked at, if in fact new, will be cast frame guns- which is not a deal breaker.
The BHP/P-35 is a very good carry gun in my opinion.
I currently have four I use for that purpose that have been extensively modified to my preference.
Thanks for the heads up on the sights situation. I was leaning towards the epoxy finish with the fixed sights.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I've owned and at times carried Hi Powers for a long time. The standard epoxy finished MkIII with fixed sights is a favorite of mine. That being said, the later guns with the low mounted adjustable sights would be fine for carry too in my humble opinion. I had one as shown in SDDAVE's linked photo. Had I been inclined to do so, I would have carried it without any concern about the adj. sights. I like low mounted adjustable sights myself due to the ability to sight the gun in at any range with any ammo to my desired POA/POI. I realize I'm in the minority on this as most pistol shooters seem not to sight in pistols, figuring that a person or machine at the factory has somehow sighted the pistol in and the sights will always be close enough. I would especially recommend adjustables for a range gun as you indicated you won't be carrying in NJ.....ymmv

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
that being said, the later guns with the low mounted adjustable sights would be fine for carry too in my humble opinion. I had one as shown in sddave's linked photo. Had i been inclined to do so, i would have carried it without any concern about the adj. Sights. I like low mounted adjustable sights myself due to the ability to sight the gun in at any range with any ammo to my desired poa/poi. I realize i'm in the minority on this as most pistol shooters seem not to sight in pistols, figuring that a person or machine at the factory has somehow sighted the pistol in and the sights will always be close enough. I would especially recommend adjustables for a range gun as you indicated you won't be carrying in nj.....ymmv

this ^^^^^^^

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
If I wanted a shooter, I'd pick a MKIII, which is what current production is. I'd also go with the fixed sights. I don't think adjustable sights belong on a Hi-Power.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Current Mk III's are excellent. I've got two, one with the enamel finish and one with the "polished" blue. I've set both of mine up with Cylinder and Slide sear and hammer kits, makes a world of difference in the trigger pull, especially if you opt to keep the mag disconnects in.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
First: blued HP's are tough to find so if the prices are close or equal I'd get the blue.

Second: as neither of these will be a carry gun, did you look at the standard P30 or VP9? I like the SK and I hope they do a VP9 SK, but for home and range I'd go full size.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have three Hi Powers with a fourth on the way.

In order of purchase

1). All chromed factory adj. sight model. 9mm with gold plated trigger. It was the first gun I ever bought from gunbroker. I bought it for NRA Action Pistol matches and it cleaned house at the one IDPA match I took it to. That was when it still had the magazine safety.

2). Israeli-marked Mark II with ring hammer. I haven't shot this one very much but it love how it feels.

3). 2 tone Practical in .40 S&W. Just bought last summer but it feels like a dream. I was just handling it a bit ago while wishing I could take it and about 5,000 rounds to join the Spartans against the Persian hordes. That's what happens when you are holding an HP and watching the movie "300."

4). Another Israel-marked HP but a Mark III. (Still in shipment). That one I plan to have refinished and a Cylinder and Slide sear, trigger, and ring hammer installed. The mag safety will be removed.

I want more!

I hope you can soon leave NJ. A free citizen should be able to carry what arms are desired without having to pay the govt. a ransom for that right. If you want my advice, get BOTH HP's and forget about the other weapon. Once you learn how to use a single action auto, you may realize there is nothing else for you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've set up a hard chromed Argentinian police HP up for carry with CS extended safety, mag safety removed and slightly stiffer recoil spring.
It's a fixed sight model that shoots a little low with 124 or 147 grain. It's still produces nice groups at self defence distances. They feel great in the hand!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First: blued HP's are tough to find so if the prices are close or equal I'd get the blue.

Second: as neither of these will be a carry gun, did you look at the standard P30 or VP9? I like the SK and I hope they do a VP9 SK, but for home and range I'd go full size.
I've got a P226 Dark Elite in 9mm for the full size duty. Just always wanted a BHP.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Won't be carrying the Browning as I live in NJ and it is VERY difficult to get a CCW if you're a regular citizen. I know a business owner that has one but his dad is a lawyer who owns the company so I'm sure they have an "in" so to speak.
The price on the P938 is probably the same one I'll get at the other 3 shops I'm going to bring it to. These guys tend to lowball severely but I have sold on Gunbroker and could potentially get more there but the convenience of getting it at a shop makes things a little easier.
The shop I bought the P938 at gave me a reasonable price on a Sig P250 in 9mm and 40 cal so maybe he'll do the same on the P938 in exchange for store credit towards the P30SK.
Sounds like Hawaii!! I have the fixed sights on my Browning Hi Power 9mm. They work for me. I practice with 115 gr FMJ's and Speer Gold dot 147 gr GDHP for home defense.
Scott

·
Registered
874 Posts
You are in the right place to talk about Hi Powers. I've learned most of what I know in here and from Mr. Camps books, articles and website.

Anyhow, my opinion is the same as I posted on Sigforum...

"There isn't much to "look for" if you are buying a new one beyond fit and finish and the like. Choose the finish and sights you like and then go shoot it. Like most guns, there is a plethora of aftermarket pieces for them - grips, sights, springs, refinishes, etc...

A general suggestion would be to get a black epoxy version with fixed sight for a carry gun, though that blued version with adjustable sights you saw works just fine too. The HP is a relatively heavy steel framed 9mm so be aware that carrying it CCW is a bit closer to carrying a 1911 vs a Glock or Sig as far a weight goes. It is pretty slim considering it is a double stack 9mm, but the weight makes it kick like a lesser caliber in my opinion.

All around, it is probably my favorite 9mm service pistol. Regardless of which finish you get, the sights can always be changed later by Novak's in about a 7 business day turn around. Other's do sights as well, but turn around could be longer"

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Fine guns. I was given one by a co-worker lady I barley knew. --------That was a pleasant surprise!

It's an Earlier Belgian one. No problems ever. I dig it a lot.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Fine guns. I was given one by a co-worker lady I barley knew. --------That was a pleasant surprise!
Its an Earlier Belgian one. No problems ever. I dig it a lot.
I hate you, a lot. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Yes, The free Hi Power pleasant surprise. She had heard I liked guns so she approached me & said "The was a gun in my house when I moved in. If I can find it again , & my daughter's scumbag boyfriend has not stolen it I'll give it to you"

I did not think much about it. I figured it was probably lost/taken & was likely a Raven or RG anyhow.

A few months later she said said "hey, I have that gun for you in my car"

When I saw what it was I said "whoa! This is many hundreds of dollars for you at any gunshop. let me buy it or you should sell it at an ffl"

She said no. Wouldn't even take the lunch I offered! I have since done the self-registration process with the DOJ.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes, The free Hi Power pleasant surprise. She had heard I liked guns so she approached me & said "The was a gun in my house when I moved in. If I can find it again , & my daughter's scumbag boyfriend has not stolen it I'll give it to you"

I did not think much about it. I figured it was probably lost/taken & was likely a Raven or RG anyhow.

A few months later she said said "hey, I have that gun for you in my car"

When I saw what it was I said "whoa! This is many hundreds of dollars for you at any gunshop. let me buy it or you should sell it at an ffl"

She said no. Wouldn't even take the lunch I offered! I have since done the self-registration process with the DOJ.
What is this DOJ with which one must register?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts