1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A Browning High Power 1989 made in Belgium stamped (nothing about Portugal) looks like MKIII . Blach finish (almost looks painted), Ext, amb. safety, sights with white bars, a ring at the butt of the grip. What is it? An all belgium mkIII? Is 625.00 reasonable (gun is unfired) Also,when did the "assembled in portugal" began?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sounds like a mil surp import. I would have said Israeli, but the safety and condition don't fit. Does it say anything about "Browning" on the slide? The price is a bit steep, since you can get a brand new MkIII from CDNN for about $400.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I have owned three as you describe NIB, not surplus. I still have one in the 245PN62XXX serial number range. If I recall correctly, my previous ones were in a similar serial number range. They are a regular MKIII, except that they don't mention Portugal on the pistol and have a lanyard ring. I had the original boxes on on all three, and all did indicate Portugal on the box. I belong to the BCA and wrote them several years ago about these pistols. They contacted their guy at FN. We could only learn that they were part of a contract of 2871 pistols but FN provided no further info. All three of the end labels on my guns included the number '2871' along with the usual info. They are forged frames by the way , not cast, as on my current CDNN "Good Deal" FN. My last one cost me $550 about 7 or 8 years ago IIRC. I would definitely pay $625 if I were in the market for another. FN/Browning also imported a number of Practical models with only Belgian markings in the 245NM15XXX range in 1990. Neither the Belgian-only marked Practical, nor the MKIII W/ lanyard, were commonly encountered in my part of the country,the Southwest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.