1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read on Hardcoretalk.com's Handgun board that some idiot said that the Browning Hipower would not hold up to 20,000 rounds. Now I just cannot believe that a gun this well made wouldn't hold up. My 9mm Browning isn't old but it has digested everything I have put through it and i haven't seen any wear on the gun.

What do you guys think? Any of you have a Browning that has 20k or more rounds through it? Any problems? Did you have to replace anything?

·
Registered
233 Posts
i have read a artical, awhile back. they ran a exstrem testing of the hi-power's glocks and some other well known handgun's. and to any of us browning h-p owners it comes to be no suprise, that the browning design prove to be superior to the rest of the wanta be's. it will continue to shoot long after the others. as you probily know its repurtation?well it has long and since proved itself. if any handgun can exceed 20.000 rounds, i beleave the browning has and will contnue to do so

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has this guy not seen the WW2 Inglis Hi-Powers the Canadian Forces still has in service, they probably hit 20k decades ago and they are still running strong.

B

·
0 Posts
I asked Kurt Wickmann this question when I ordered my BHP (still hasn't arrived yet
)
He told me that the weak point on the gun is the barrel and it needs to be replaced at about 20000 rounds. To rectify this situation I ordered a KKM match barrel for my gun. This barrel should have a longer life. Plus if he sends the original barrel back with my gun I have that too!!!

B

·
0 Posts
Oh yeah, I also asked my local gunshop dealer the same questions and he said most guns should be good for about 30-40 thousand rounds. I estimate for my HP"s with custom barrels they should last about 50 K of non+P ammo. Consider this if like me you shoot about 2000 rounds /year (this is a maximum estimate: I usually shoot less) through a gun (I have many guns too
) this should last you 20-25 years. That's a pretty long time. Even with my optimistic projections of eventually shooting 4000 rounds / year per gun it should last about 10 years plus. I have already planned for this. I own a C&S HP already and after I check out my Wickmann HP I will probably order 2 more with match barrels. This should last me at least 50 years with LOTS of shooting. I'm 31 now. If I'm still shooting at 81 I'll still have a nice custom HP!!!

My point is few of us shoot such large amounts of ammo through our gun (constrained either by money or more importantly : TIME). 2-3 guns (of the same design) should last a lifetime of moderate shooting.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Originally posted by BK-BHP/1911:
I asked Kurt Wickmann this question when I ordered my BHP (still hasn't arrived yet
)
He told me that the weak point on the gun is the barrel and it needs to be replaced at about 20000 rounds. To rectify this situation I ordered a KKM match barrel for my gun. This barrel should have a longer life. Plus if he sends the original barrel back with my gun I have that too!!!
BK, Did Wickmann mention what part of the barrel wears out, and how do you tell if it's in need of replacement?
I'm kind of curious. I picked up a Hi Power last year and probably have 4 to 5 thousand rounds thru it by now, and plan on running a lot more.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

B

·
0 Posts
I believe Kurt said the point where the chamber and the barrel meet is the weak point. It's been a few months since I read that email. I figure that changing to a match barrel like KKM or Barsto should fix that problem.

·
Registered
977 Posts
BK-BHP/1911, Your Wickmann HP will be worth the wait. Mine took about 7 month. Have had it for several weeks and it has become one of my favorite guns. It is a "shooter" with excellent pointability. Kurt does great work and he is a stand up guy.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Metazorro, I had Kurt do one of his Entry Packages. His web site, KWGS.COM has full details. In addition, I had him take off the ambi safety and give me a strong side tactical. It's really a great gun. More of a shooter than a looker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts