1911Forum banner

Bruen and New Jersey

14210 659
Went to the latest Nappen seminar tonight. Official title of it was, "Supreme Court, NYSRPA v. Bruen: How It Impacts Your State's Gun Laws". I'll give you the bad news first. NJ is bent on taking liberties with the most extreme gun laws in the nation. Some state goes off the deep end, Murphy thinks it's his job to top it. So tomorrow, Thursday, October 13 he will hold a news conference at noon to expand carry restrictions. Details are not fully available yet. ANJRPC will have them on their site later in the day. Here's what I have:

More "sensitive" places.
No carry on property you don't own without the property owner's expressed permission. Private or commercial.
Changes to application process.
Hefty, and I mean really hefty, fee increase.
Insurance and proof of insurance.
No carry in a vehicle.
Training requirements increased.

That's all I know right now about that. There will be immediate legal challenges as soon as these are inacted. Justice Thomas in his majority opinion called 2A restrictions civil rights violations. That's a federal crime. Government individuals can be held responsible for civil rights violations. Even judges. That's all about that until the news conference. They are trying to create obstacles to nullify Bruen. There are other things that came up. I'll post them later. Let this soak in.
641 - 660 of 660 Posts

· Registered
9,777 Posts
This seems to be std anti-2A playbook. Put in everything including kitchen sink, then see what does and does not stick.

Unless all the BS gets tossed out, it's no win for 2A.

· Premium Member
8,971 Posts
This seems to be std anti-2A playbook. Put in everything including kitchen sink, then see what does and does not stick.

Unless all the BS gets tossed out, it's no win for 2A.
I’d be thrilled and shocked if it all got tossed, in addition to of course being the right thing to do. But, managing goals and expectations might be wise simply because we have no idea what possible twist this judge will throw in there.

· Registered
115 Posts
I do agree it ALL has to go right back in Murphy's face or somewhere else. They've thrown everything they could come up with in this BS bill. If they get smacked down and none of it sticks this will be a major hit. They tried to include every public place as a gun free zone. They shoot their shot if you blow them up now they're swinging at air. Not to say they stop but a complete wipeout really sets them back. Murphy and his asshole buddies think they covered everything so stick it to them. I hope the judge sees it for what it is because if we crush this one its gonna be real tough for them to get anything through.

· Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #644 ·
Dan is going to ask for all 25 at the TRO hearing Thursday. He will ask for those and more to be overturned at the full hearing that follows.

· Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #646 ·
Gets stranger upon stranger as it goes on.

January 24, 2023. In an exceedingly odd development, the NJ Senate President and Assembly Speaker have filed a court motion to intervene in ANJRPC's lawsuit to overturn NJ's new carry-killer law.

The development is odd because it is normally the NJ Attorney General's job to speak for the state when defending a law being challenged, and the Attorney General has been extremely active in doing so. The move suggests that legislative leaders may not be satisfied with the Attorney General's work, and/or that they have tried and failed to get the Attorney General to make arguments that the AG was not willing to make. Either way, it is not normally the job of the legislature to defend laws that it creates.

At this point in time, it is not even clear whether legislative leaders are legally entitled to intervene in the case.

See a copy of the bizarre new filing by CLICKING HERE and selecting item 13 on the numbered list.

In any event, this latest action likely will not affect argument of ANJRPC's restraining order motion, scheduled to take place this Thursday morning, January 26th.

If you are not already subscribed to these free email alerts, click here to sign up -- there will be critical updates and alerts coming in the near future.

<click here for the online version of this alert>

The Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs
is the official NRA state affiliate in the Garden State​

· Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #647 ·
They claim they have to intervene in order to represent the claims of the Senate and Assembly. Bumb already rejected those claims. They think they are entitled to another shot.

· Registered
115 Posts
I really wish one of these judges would lay into these scumbags. The judge already rejected the claim. To continue to try an end run around the judges decision is disrespectful and I'd love to see one judge just smack them down and downright embarass them. If their AG isn't letting them pull his strings too bad. They're out of line and they need to get the message loud and clear. They can't lose bad enough.

· Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #650 ·
These criminal lawmakers are trying to make criminals out of law abiding citizens. They bend over backwards for their fellow criminals while they expect us to bend over forward for them.

· Premium Member
8,971 Posts
Not being a lawyer or judge, and after reading the state’s ‘motion to intervene’, who knows how the judge will decide. I never heard of a motion to intervene, but apparently it exists.
Yes, ‘the state‘ needs a big smack down and it would be great to see Scutari and others be held in contempt for delaying the inevitable TRO/injunction proceedings. Alan Dershowitz always asks a question, “Does it pass, the shoe on the other foot test ?” I can’t imagine Scutari et al NJ, has any NEW facts to add to 4769 attempting to validate it and/or make it constitutional. I also doubt, that if Schmutter ever filed the same motion (if WE were losing), what would the court decide. The NJ legislature made claims that 4769 with all it’s unconstitutional minucia would be viewed and decided in the court, what happened? The state’s AG et al are losing bad and are attempting to win via political means.
So, tomorrow 1/26/23 just got more interesting As far as the plaintiffs getting some relief From this ridiculous new law. Every gun owner in the state of NJ should be included (somehow??) in this lawsuit as a consequence of this latest abuse of our 2A and tax payor dollars.

· Premium Member
15,042 Posts
Desperation...Judge Bum already smacked the State around in her first ruling, if this is going to her, she will laugh and have a good time beating them down...It would be quite comical if it wasn't a fact that these clowns run this state.

· Premium Member
8,971 Posts
I agree in theory. We just don’t know if this latest motion from the state is a legal maneuver which if denied by the judge somehow strengthens a future appeal from the state Against us.
There seemed to be legal precedent in the states motion. What that means and how the judge handles it, we don’t have a clue.

· Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #654 ·
I read over that again and it looks like they are trying to claim that the state AG didn't do a good enough job defending their law. The fact that their law is unconstitutional and you can't defend unconstitutional doesn't exist in their brains.

· Premium Member
8,971 Posts
I read over that again and it looks like they are trying to claim that the state AG didn't do a good enough job defending their law. The fact that their law is unconstitutional and you can't defend unconstitutional doesn't exist in their brains.
I also found it interesting that at the end, it stated that they are not participating in tomorrow’s hearing but want to delay it?? Its already been delayed twice.

· Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #657 ·
Remember during the hearings for this bill Danielson said that it is his job to pass laws and it is judicial's job to see what is constitutional?

· Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #660 ·
January 26, 2023. This morning, the judge in the consolidated carry-killer case heard oral argument on ANJRPC's motion for a temporary restraining order halting giant swaths of the new law while the case proceeds. If granted, the motion would block the new law more broadly than previously.

ANJRPC attorney Dan Schmutter argued that the carry-killer law blatantly violates the Supreme Court's ruling in the Bruen case, and that accordingly much of the law should be suspended while the case proceeds. The NJ Attorney General argued against suspension of the law. Attorneys for the legislature, which oddly sought to intervene in the case earlier this week, did not argue, as their intervention motion has not yet been acted on by the court.

A decision on ANJRPC's restraining order request is expected in the coming days. Please watch for upcoming alerts as news breaks.

641 - 660 of 660 Posts