1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if a brush can be used too much on a barrel. When cleaning my barrel, I alternate between a brush (usually 20 strokes) and patches until the bore is as shiny as the outside (this is about 100 passes of the brush per cleaning). Could I be causing premature wear on my barrels by using a brush too much? My thoughts are that since the brush is softer than the metal the barrel is made of, it wouldn't be a problem, but I had someone at my local range tell me that "over brushing" the barrel will wear it down quickly. So, for you guys with more experience than myself, how should I use my brushes? Am I using them too much or am I ok?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Everyone seems to have their own way of barrel cleaning. I guess it's a system you learn over time and then stick with it.

Of my three pistols that get shot the most, combined, they haven't seen 100 strokes of a bronze brush in the past year.

My Ruger .22 has never seen a brush in the bore, bronze or nylon.

I use a nylon brush on my two Kart barrelled .45s. But on occasion will hit the bore with a bronze brush, but only three or four strokes.

I don't shoot as much as most people here in this forum. About 6000 rounds per year with the .22. About 2000 rounds per year with one .45, and about 1000 with the other. So you can adjust the frequency for your shooting.

You will get other opions, pick the one that looks best to you, and give it a try.

------------------
Matthew 24:6
"You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things MUST take place...

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I'm probably the worst bore cleaner around.I almost don't.After a few hundred rounds I patch it out with solvent.When it looks real grubby,I'll get it warm and nylon brush it,or a few bronze brush strokes if needed.I haven't seen a prob in accuracy,but I'm more into the combat accuracy than the ragged hole at 50yd stuff.My rifles are a different story,but I don't think I've ever cleaned a pistol bore spotless.

·
Registered
126 Posts
First I use a patch wetted with Hoppes #9, followed by dry patches.

Then, I use a brass or bronze brush dipped into the bottle of Hoppes #9 for 10 to 12 stokes, followed by dry patches.

After that, one more round with the brush and Hoppes, followed by dry patches.

Finally, I apply a light film of Break-Free CLP to the clean, dry bore to prevent rust.
--------------------------------------------

...but I had someone at my local range tell me that "over brushing" the barrel will wear it down quickly.

One way you could hurt your barrel would be to brush from the muzzle end, as you would with a revolver, and let the cleaning rod come into contact with the muzzle crown.

Another harmful cleaning procedure would be to use a stainless steel brush in the bore.

I use brass or nylon-coated cleaning rods.

-Mk.IV

·
Banned
217 Posts
I brush out my 1911's while still hot at the end of a shooting session. I shoot nothing but lead.

5 jacketed rounds followed by 10 strokes with a bronze brush followed by 5 strokes with a Breakfree-wetted patch. Bore is bright and shiny. I really think the key is to do it while the barrel is still hot.

I've only done this for 15K rounds so I doubt I'd be able to tell of any wear from the brush.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've HEARD that nylon brushes can wear the barrel. I don't know. I only use bronze brushes. A good barrel is very easy to clean. My Bar-Sto NEVER accumulates lead! A couple of patches and it's clean.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The only time I really clean my bores is when switching powders. Otherwise it's at the begining and end of the outdoor IPSC season around here. I heard from a very knowledgeable individual that not cleaning is not a detriment to pistol accuracy. So I don't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts