1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys. Im a newbie to 1911s and Im wanting to jump in. My local gun store has a RIA GI for $423 with 1 mag. Should i go for it?

Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can get you one here for $300 used but you have to pay for the shipping and transfer as well and I can do that from my store. The $300 one doesn't come from my store. It's on a paper ad. Figured you might bite on this one. :rock:

here's the ad....he's asking $350 but you should be able to haggle him to $300.

.45 ACT, Rock Island Armory. $350 call 912-610-5287

call him, set it up and I'll pick it up and ship it for you.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
ive got a rock island compact i have had for almost 2 years and its my daily off duty carry. if the Gi models are as good, than yes its a good budget 1911.

as long as you realize that you are indeed buying a low end 1911, and dont start expecting it to compare to the higher dollar pistols you will be happy. when i got mine i knew i was taking a chance, but mainly went ahead from what i had read on here. i knew what i wasnt getting, and it actually exceeded my expectations...

good luck to ya, keep us posted on it.

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
My carry piece is a full size, all steel, RIA, . . . had it now for about 5 years. Have no idea how many rounds through it, . . . thousands I would imagine, . . . no real hiccups to speak of.

I did put an $18 bushing in it (Brownells), and a $65 set of combat sights from Kings (I heard they're closed), . . . and now it shoots a heck of a lot better than I can.

I also put some 1/16" spacers behind the grips to make the handle just a bit fatter for my paws.

My dealer had two of them (identical for all tense and purposes) when I bought mine. I looked at it on a weekday, . . . went back Saturday to get it, . . . he put it up on the counter, . . . I just looked at him and said "You had two of them the other day, . . . and I wanted the other one". The look on his face was worth $1000.00 :biglaugh:

You'll like it, I am sure, . . . just realize you are not getting a Wilson, . . . but you are getting a good, solid, firearm for your money.

You may also think about the 60 or 70 bucks you could save on buying a used VS buying brand new. Personally, . . . I'd go for the new one, . . . then if there are any issues, . . . you have recourse. Buying used, . . . about all you can do is either fix it or unload it if there are problems.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice but i have to wait around 2 months before i can get it. Ill keep my fingers crossed that theyll get another.:rock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts