1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at ordering my new smith 1911pd from buds but i have read some bad things on other sites. anybody on here deal with them? good or bad i want it all!:rock:

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Got my DW CBOB from them last summer. No problems, great price.
Guys on the phone were easy to work with.

What kind of problems are you hearing about?

Chris

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have bought probably 5 firearms from them. In general, I've gotten great prices and no problems with the merchandise.

Here's the key thing to remember: you'll get absolutely ZERO service from them. If you have any kind of issue at all, they will not help you, they will not take a return, and they will charge you for any and every kind of change you might try to make. Awhile back, I ordered something, and it wasn't even going to ship out until 3 days later. The very next morning, I called up because I had decided to get something different, and I caught it before they had even packaged the original item. Still, they dinged me 10% on the order, and yes they put all that stuff in the fine print.

Bottom line, they are a low-price, high-volume, poor service dealer. If you want great price, pretty good selection, and can live with no service (and if you know for SURE what you want), buy from Bud's. If you want to establish a trust relationship with a dealer, if you might want service, things like that, I'd look around.

I'll probably buy from them again, but ONLY when I'm certain of what I want, and am sure I don't care about service. They can be really stubborn in avoiding responsibility for problems, when you have an issue with your order, and it gets very frustrating, not worth trying to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Highly Recommend Buds!

I have bought two S&W 1911s from Buds over the last couple of months. Best price by far on both models. My second model was a new commander size from S&W that I couldn't find anywhere, even their site. I emailed and they found it quick and came through with a great price.

One small downside (very small) to Buds. I think they are a small operation, so "processing" takes longer than I would like. That means an extra couple of days between ordering and shipping, even for in-stock items. Shipping is great: two days cross country to Tucson, AZ. As impatient as I am.....

Even with processing, I won't hesitate to buy from them again.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Purchased a Colt Series 70 from Buds and it has some serious issues with the finish and the s/n was stamped at an angle. Returned it to Colt for a compolete replacement. IMO Buds should have rejected this gun upon delivery from Colt and not tried to sell it.

I prefer dealing with ozarkguns.com who doesn't charge extra for a creditcard purchase.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
I bought a Wilson CQB from them and it was an awesome experience. I dealt with Gurney; called him on a Monday, had my gun on Friday. Yes, I paid an extra 3% for using my Visa for a couple reasons: 1)I'm impatient, dont wanna wait for the check to clear-I want it NOW 2) I paid the card off anyway and got the airline miles 3) It was exactly what I wanted and it was in stock and finally 4) I didn't have to pay taxes on top of the full $2500 that my local dealer wanted for the gun he had in the case (with the zip tie removed so every "tire kicker" that walked in could finger bang it, and the one at the shop was an ambi safety I didn't want anyway. I saved almost $600. Sorry local guy....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought my CBOB from them about a year ago, and it was exactly as described earlier. They had a great price and shipped out more quickly than I expected. I placed my order online Monday night, sent in a money order on Tuesday morning, and had the gun in my hand on Friday afternoon. I never actually talked to anyone, but everything worked out fine. I don't know exactly what I expected in terms of service, but I feel like I got my money's worth.

I'm definitely planning on buying from them again.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
i called them and left a message earlier this morning but no return phone call yet. They gave deep discounts for LE btw.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,305 Posts
I bought a Smith revo from them, about two years ago. Smooth sailing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I ordered a Wilson CQB SS Compact this afternoon from them. Brandon was very clear to instruct me to open the box and inspect it thoroughly before signing any FFL stuff. If it wasn't right they would arrange pick up and ship another. Suits me if you tell me ahead of time. If there are non-obvious problems I believe Wilson will take care of me. No worries here.
1911FXR

·
Registered
287 Posts
I placed a small order with Bud's the other day and have no idea when the item will actually be shipped. The canned email from Bud's says that the in-stock item "will be shipped within the next seven business days". I hope they don't take that long to drop the item in the mail box...

I placed an order with Brownell's at the same time, and I got their package today. Timely shipment isn't too much to ask these days.

EDIT: One more thing - Bud's tacked on a surcharge for "not paying cash". Since when is it an accomodation to use a credit card for an online purchase?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Look around. I went looking and found two different places that were $50 less for the gun I am looking for (the discontinued Pro Carry 40S&W).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have bought probably 5 firearms from them. In general, I've gotten great prices and no problems with the merchandise.

Here's the key thing to remember: you'll get absolutely ZERO service from them. If you have any kind of issue at all, they will not help you, they will not take a return, and they will charge you for any and every kind of change you might try to make. Awhile back, I ordered something, and it wasn't even going to ship out until 3 days later. The very next morning, I called up because I had decided to get something different, and I caught it before they had even packaged the original item. Still, they dinged me 10% on the order, and yes they put all that stuff in the fine print.

Bottom line, they are a low-price, high-volume, poor service dealer. If you want great price, pretty good selection, and can live with no service (and if you know for SURE what you want), buy from Bud's. If you want to establish a trust relationship with a dealer, if you might want service, things like that, I'd look around.

I'll probably buy from them again, but ONLY when I'm certain of what I want, and am sure I don't care about service. They can be really stubborn in avoiding responsibility for problems, when you have an issue with your order, and it gets very frustrating, not worth trying to save a few bucks.
I think czfan described them accurately.

·
Registered
412 Posts
EDIT: One more thing - Bud's tacked on a surcharge for "not paying cash". Since when is it an accomodation to use a credit card for an online purchase?
They specifically state that they charge extra for credit/debit card use. All business that process credit/debit card transactions pay a small percentage to issuing banks to process those transactions. Most businesses eat the cost, they make more money if you use cash than with a card. Some places pass it on to the consumer. Discover Card has the highest surcharge, which is why a lot of businesses don't take Discover.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got my DW CBOB from them last summer. No problems, great price.
Guys on the phone were easy to work with.

What kind of problems are you hearing about?

Chris
ordering a certain finish and getting another and then charging the customer more to correct their mistake or a 20% re-stocking fee when it was their mistake in the first place. When your spending close to a thousand bucks 20% is a lot.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
In the event they ship the wrong pistol (finish, caliber, whatever....), charging anyone the restocking fee is indeed major BS of the highest order...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I placed a small order with Bud's the other day and have no idea when the item will actually be shipped. The canned email from Bud's says that the in-stock item "will be shipped within the next seven business days". I hope they don't take that long to drop the item in the mail box...

I placed an order with Brownell's at the same time, and I got their package today. Timely shipment isn't too much to ask these days.

Another "fun" aspect of Buds. Although the claim is that they break out all the charges in order to give the lowest possible price (and often, they DO have great prices), you will often see these little tacked-on surcharges. Example: I bought a pistol there they other day, and it said $517 delivered. Then when I went to pay online, it says oh by the way, if you want an "insured" shipment, it'll be another $6. If UPS loses/damages your package or something, Bud's is saying they wouldn't make good on it unless you pay that extra. And of course, the infamous extra 3% fees for using credit cards.

I'm not going to complain about their practices, because sometimes I want to buy something at rock-bottom price, and often, Bud's can give me that. If you want the lowest price you have to be willing to give up some of the service. But again, if you want good service on a particular item, I'd seriously buy somewhere else.

Here are three other places recently that I've done business with, and all have provided much better service and didn't have such goofy nickle-and-dime surcharges (while still having very competitive prices) are:

Impact Guns (www.impactguns.com). They are super, and will add a lifetime warranty to any guy you buy from them for free.

RR Arms (www.rrarms.com). A newer, up and coming place. Very friendly, good selection, and often prices that are better than Buds.

Pk Firearms (www.pkfirearms.com). Outstanding selection, service, and prices on AR-15 related stuff. Very quick shipping turnaround, and will answer questions at great length to help you configure a rifle, figure out a part you need, etc.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts