1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered 2 boxes of 20/$19.99 from Cabela's of the Buffalo Bore 230 gr +P ammo. It is 230 gr FMJ FP at 950 fps. This will be used in a 5" 1911 (Milspec). It is stock except for an action job. Will the stock recoil spring be enough? This will be my SHTF ammo as I practice with 230 gr FMJ RN at 850 fps. Any suggestions, stronger spring, etc?

·
Registered
15,656 Posts
It will be just fine. The main thing is to make sure to replace the recoil spring when it becomes weakened. Keep extras on hand. After a couple thousand rounds compare the length to a new one. Using a heavier than stock (16 lb.) will make the muzzle dip down more.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered a Fire Dragon Dual Action Recoil Buffer. It is a guide rod with 2 springs, one outer spring and a smaller inner spring that fits inside the hollow guide rod. The smaller spring slows the slide in the last part of the rearward movement just before it would hit the frame. The outside spring is 16 lbs, the same as the stock spring so that little bit of added compression pressure at the end of the slide movement should help prevent any battering of the frame. I had read good reviews of it although it is more expensive than just getting a stronger recoil spring. When I have a chance I will compare the stock spring and regular ball ammo vs the Fire Dragon Buffer with the Buffalo Bore ammo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts