1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
TackDriver,

You go boy!

I have not built many from scratch, three so far, but I LOVE Caspian and I LOVE stainless. You are spot on about the $1K price tag. The only way to beat it is to get your parts at dealer prices and that could save you $150 to $200 on the whole project. Like you, I started out just modifying my "store boughts" but I knew I wouldn't be happy until I built one from the ground up.

Brownells is THE place to look for the small parts. I have used Wilson pin sets and spring sets. I like Wilson hammers and sears as well. I also like Wilson's beavertail (be sure to get Caspian to pre-cut the frame for the beavertail you choose and let them do the sight cuts on the slide). The Action Works extractor comes in stainless from Brownells. Nowlin's new lightweight trigger is very nice. The Ed Brown grip safety allows for a very high grip but requires a LOT of frame cutting - I won't use one again! I also like the EGW oversize slide stop - it's checkered instead of serrated. Get the "drop-in" or "pre-fitted" barrel and bushing from your supplier of choice (I like Nowlin and Kart) - you will still have plenty of fitting to do.

I have done all mine with hand tools at the kitchen table. A few good files, some fine automotive type sandpaper, a piece of good flat glass, some wooden sanding blocks and dowells and a Dremel tool (for polishing ONLY). Don't try to cut anything with the Dremel. Take your time and get help if you aren't sure about something before you start. If you know someone with a bead blast set-up they can refinish the frame and slide when you are done or you could send it to a pro for the finish.

Be careful, work slow and you can do it too!

I will be happy to share anything I've learned - however little that may be.

Mikey

·
Registered
605 Posts
LenB,

The grips are carbon fiber by Carbon Creations and are available thru Brownells. I was wanting a little "different" look on the Caspian Commmander project so I did the carbon fiber grips as an eye catcher. You ought to see them in person!

I'll have this gun with me at the IDPA Nationals if anyone wants to slobber on it. I'll be a CSO but don't know which stage yet.

Mikey

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.